United States
    Thanks
    I just want to be able to use idemitsu fluid whether I do the change or not

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I replaced my fluid the other day and the cartridge filter. I'll change the pan filter at the 60k mark. The first drain and refill took 3.0 quarts. I drove it for a day and did a drain and refill again. This last time was 3.5 quarts. If you jack up the rear passenger wheel, you will get more to drain. So, mathematically ;0, 2 drain and refills with the amount I filled would now lead my CVT to have 5.08 quarts new fluid (68.65%), and 2.32 quarts (31.35%) original fluid. That's if there was the correct 7.4 quarts from the factory. I also installed a Fumoto Valve F103, to make it less messy and easier at the 60k mark, even though it wasn't too terrible with just the plug.

Fumoto installed:

I also used Eneos Eco CVT Fluid, claims compatibility with the J4 CVT, less than $10 a quart.
    Two questions:

1. Isn't this dangerous as the drain plug is now protruding quite a bit with the Fumoto valve installed? I think it protrudes below the plastic skid plate.

2. Would the thread inside (which I guess would be sticking out above the level of the bottom inside the drain pan) prevent fluid and gunk on the bottom of the pan to come out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
    Two questions:

1. Isn't this dangerous as the drain plug is now protruding quite a bit with the Fumoto valve installed? I think it protrudes below the plastic skid plate.

2. Would the thread inside (which I guess would be sticking out above the level of the bottom inside the drain pan) prevent fluid and gunk on the bottom of the pan to come out?
    1. It does not stick out past anything. So no, it's not dangerous.

2. Also no. The natural suction and tilt of pan will get debris out. Plus, there's still a magnet in the pan, plus a screen, and a side filter to catch debris.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
    We had a similar discussion (with drawings and everything!) in another thread. Check out the thread starting with THIS post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    We had a similar discussion (with drawings and everything!) in another thread. Check out the thread starting with THIS post.
    Exactly.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post102011
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I forgot this was a CVT thread.

If you look at where a CVT drain plug is installed, it's not even at the lowest point in the pan. So whether you remove the drain plug or open the Fumitomo valve during a CVT drain operation, you are not removing all of the fluid in the pan or any of the stuff that has settled to the bottom of the pan anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your answers.

I got another question.

My wife's mirage is a low-mileage car that just averages 2000 miles per year. It is just an alternate car (number coding here in the Philippines). It is on it's fourth year now. I do engine oil change every six months regardless of mileage. Now, my question is about the CVT fluid. For low mileage cars, do we need to change fluid every year? every two years? How often?

I have searched the web and normally the discussions revolve around mileage.

Do CVT fluids deteriorate like engine oil does?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a question for those who change their filters. I want to get as much old fluid out as possible. I am considering draining the pan, refilling it, driving it a bit to mix the old and new fluid, and then repeating the process. Is it better to change the filters on the first fluid drain, or after the second one? Reason I'm asking is I won't have the filters for a few days and am considering doing two rounds of fluid exchange to take advantage of a long drive I have to do before the filters arrive ;-)

That'd work. I'd change the filters after the second drain not before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Filters would have cleaner fluid to work with if you change them on your second fluid exchange.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)