Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Update

Well, this was definitely a trial and error job for me. Got the new housing from a local Nissan parts supplier and also got one from Alec Nater in MLPS. Successfully re-installed the housing, got the fluid filled and the car drives better than it has in some time. I think with all the mishaps virtually all of the fluid came out and has now been replaced for better or worse.

The transmission was still seeping a little bit. I took it to my local neighborhood mechanic and he replaced 4 of the 15 pan bolts as I had over-torqued them and we also replaced the gasket. No issues anymore. I tell you I thought I would save money doing this myself - $60 on fluid and $50 on parts - but wound up spending about $90 on fluid, $150 on labor to fix my issues, and another $100 on parts for the original parts and then the replacements / repairs. All of this comes down me rushing and not allowing adequate time to do the job myself.

Would I still do this myself a second time? Absolutely, feel like I now know the cost of my errors ;-)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-16-2021),inuvik (03-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Well, this was definitely a trial and error job for me. Got the new housing from a local Nissan parts supplier and also got one from Alec Nater in MLPS. Successfully re-installed the housing, got the fluid filled and the car drives better than it has in some time. I think with all the mishaps virtually all of the fluid came out and has now been replaced for better or worse.

The transmission was still seeping a little bit. I took it to my local neighborhood mechanic and he replaced 4 of the 15 pan bolts as I had over-torqued them and we also replaced the gasket. No issues anymore. I tell you I thought I would save money doing this myself - $60 on fluid and $50 on parts - but wound up spending about $90 on fluid, $150 on labor to fix my issues, and another $100 on parts for the original parts and then the replacements / repairs. All of this comes down me rushing and not allowing adequate time to do the job myself.

Would I still do this myself a second time? Absolutely, feel like I now know the cost of my errors ;-)
    Good job - glad to hear you found your way through this.

Be sure to invest in a decent torque wrench too. It'll pay for itself by saving you from damaged parts, lost time & aggravation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wangdoodle View Post
    I made a video on how to change both transmission filters and the cvt fluid. I had the "flashing D" and the error code P0876 pop up when I ran a code reader. Changing the fluid and filters seemed to solve the issue. Here is the video. https://youtu.be/CVSRNrlABqM
    How many miles are on that CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    100,800. Hope to get another 60k out of it.

Barely broke in!
    The highest mileage cvt at work is getting up there, around 386xxxkms(243?000miles) iirc. Zero signs of trouble.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hopefully mine survives that long! The car is starting to have body rust. Pretty early IMO; I wash it religiously.

My black car has some rust Attachment 20798 zero poops given though.284,000kms of mostly highway miles I believe. Rest looks alright from 10’Attachment 20799

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wangdoodle View Post
    I made a video...
    Even if you guys don't own a CVT, start watching his video at 25:00. He removed the front fender liner (to access the filter on the side of the CVT case) and shows how much junk collects in the lower portion of the front fenders. Looks like a potential future problem area of rust in these cars.

I think this is what it looked like after he had cleaned it out...

Name:  fender.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  61.5 KB

Maybe someone mentioned this issue before and I wasn't paying attention.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-16-2021)