Thread: 2013 Mirage gearbox (CVT "D" light flashing, feels like it's slipping)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2013 Mirage gearbox (CVT "D" light flashing, feels like it's slipping)

Hi, I have a 2013 Mirage and the D light flashes on the dash at times and it also feels like the clutches are slipping in the auto when going up hill or accelerating. Could it be clutches that are worn out or something else, it has 198567km on the clock. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-12-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    This is a good news, bad news type of situation.
    Good news: “D” is not flashing continuously and the transmission is not in “limp mode”
    Bad news: You need to have your CVT serviced ASAP with a fluid and filter change. There are two filters, a upper and lower. It is also critical that the proper CVT fluid is used. You could do the service yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Search the forum and there has been a great deal of discussion on the how to and part numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    This is a good news, bad news type of situation.
    Good news: “D” is not flashing continuously and the transmission is not in “limp mode”
    Bad news: You need to have your CVT serviced ASAP with a fluid and filter change. There are two filters, a upper and lower. It is also critical that the proper CVT fluid is used. You could do the service yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Search the forum and there has been a great deal of discussion on the how to and part numbers.
    Thanks for that, that sounds like it could be a problem. If I stop the car and switch off then the D stops flashing and everything is Ok, still wonder why it feels like the clutches are slipping when going up hill or accelerating?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterrow View Post
    Thanks for that, that sounds like it could be a problem. If I stop the car and switch off then the D stops flashing and everything is Ok, still wonder why it feels like the clutches are slipping when going up hill or accelerating?
    A CVT doesn’t operate the same way as a standard automatic transmission with set gears. The CVT has a huge range of ratios which is why it will rev to 3-4k rpm and keep the same speed. Fluid levels are critical in a CVT. Refer to your owner’s manual because it gives direction how to check your fluid level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterrow View Post
    Hi, I have a 2013 Mirage and the D light flashes on the dash at times and it also feels like the clutches are slipping in the auto when going up hill or accelerating. Could it be clutches that are worn out or something else, it has 198567km on the clock. Thanks for any advice.

I would stick exactly to the advice given in post no. 2 and get it done real soon if to prevent it costing $$$$.

Make sure both filters are changed, some workshops do not know there are two. The second one being visible only with the pan (sump) of the CVT taken off.
    Fummins wrote about CVT's in numerous posts, you may want to look.
    Last edited by foama; 09-09-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I would stick exactly to the advice given in post no. 2 and get it done real soon if to prevent it costing $$$$.

Make sure both filters are changed, some workshops do not know there are two. The second one being visible only with the pan (sump) of the CVT taken off.
    Fummins wrote about CVT's in numerous posts, you may want to look.
    Hi, been trying to get the filters. Cant even get them from Mitsubishi here in Australia. Would anyone have the part numbers of the filters/kit?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    peterrow try browsing these threads.

This one discusses filter availability in diagnosing a CVT failure:

CVT Failure (at 304,000 km / 189k miles, delivery vehicle)

This thread has the Mitsubishi part numbers:

CVT aux filter O-Ring part number?

This one has Cobra Transmission part numbers:

CVT Filter change frequency

Sorry I don't have more time to research this for you.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I made a video of how to change the fluid and both filters. https://youtu.be/CVSRNrlABqM