Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried the aftermarket stuff yet? I'm quickly approaching 30k, and Mitsubishi's fluid is pretty pricey. If you have used aftermarket fluid, did you do a flush first?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernadine For This Useful Post:

flotownj (03-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    Has anyone tried the aftermarket stuff yet? I'm quickly approaching 30k, and Mitsubishi's fluid is pretty pricey. If you have used aftermarket fluid, did you do a flush first?
    Don't do it man.. spending less which could lead to more expensive cvt replacement. A warranty claim will be denied if Mits fluid wasn't used.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (11-08-2017)

How can a warranty be denied if you are using fluid that meets the manufacturers specs? I used the factory fluid maybe on 2 cars until we found stuff that met the specs mitsubishi demands. The aftermarket fluid is less than half the cost the dealer wants. The only cvt failure I've had was at almost 300000kms and it doesn't seem to be fluid related at all. It probably would have lasted longer had BOTH cvt filters been changed or inspected regularly.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (11-08-2017),Daox (11-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How can a warranty be denied if you are using fluid that meets the manufacturers specs? I used the factory fluid maybe on 2 cars until we found stuff that met the specs mitsubishi demands. The aftermarket fluid is less than half the cost the dealer wants. The only cvt failure I've had was at almost 300000kms and it doesn't seem to be fluid related at all. It probably would have lasted longer had BOTH cvt filters been changed or inspected regularly.
    What CVTF-J4 fluid do you use?

Do you have a MUT-III Scan tool to reset the deterioration level in the TCM? is it hard? or how do you it otherwise?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    What CVTF-J4 fluid do you use?

Do you have a MUT-III Scan tool to reset the deterioration level in the TCM? is it hard? or how do you it otherwise?
    I use this: https://klondikelubricants.com/wp-co...thetic-PDS.pdf
    I'm sure there's other kinds out there. Just make sure it's designed for use with- "CVTF-J4".
    For arguments sake I don't use Mitsubishi brand engine oil either but I'm pretty sure they'd cover an engine failure. Though I do use the 0w20 weight that's recommended though that meets the proper specs.

And nope I don't have a MUT-III Scan tool. And to reset the deterioration level is easy, I don't. Same goes for one for the engine oil life. I just reset them as high as I can go and just put an oil change sticker in the windshield. I also track oil and cvt fluid change intervals with a gps tracking program. So I don't see the need to reset that stuff on the car. I haven't seen any service cvt fluid lights pop up yet and don't believe that not resetting it would hurt anything. But I could be wrong?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I use this: https://klondikelubricants.com/wp-co...thetic-PDS.pdf
    I'm sure there's other kinds out there. Just make sure it's designed for use with- "CVTF-J4".
    For arguments sake I don't use Mitsubishi brand engine oil either but I'm pretty sure they'd cover an engine failure. Though I do use the 0w20 weight that's recommended though that meets the proper specs.

And nope I don't have a MUT-III Scan tool. And to reset the deterioration level is easy, I don't. Same goes for one for the engine oil life. I just reset them as high as I can go and just put an oil change sticker in the windshield. I also track oil and cvt fluid change intervals with a gps tracking program. So I don't see the need to reset that stuff on the car. I haven't seen any service cvt fluid lights pop up yet and don't believe that not resetting it would hurt anything. But I could be wrong?
    You can turn the "wrench" off completely on the MID. The CVT oil degradation reading is more of a diagnostic value for the technicians I think to see if there are any issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-09-2017),Fummins (11-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This one is relatively cheap and says that it can replace DiaQueen J4 fluid: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...rowe-g052180a2
    I don't know if I'll change the fluid myself, but if I do, I'll probably get this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just did my change CVT oil change on my sloped driveway. I got 3 quarts out. Made it really easy to fill back up with the three quarts I bought from the dealer.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    This gearbox has 2 filters. 1 is located below the gearbox inside oil pan. The other on is on the side of the wheel. Catridge type.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satria_wr For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-06-2018),Daox (03-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry if I missed the answer, but I was wondering at how many miles should we be replacing CTV fluid and do we need to do an entire flush (torque converter and all) or just a partial swap? I was under the impression we needed to do it every 30,000 miles.