Thread: The Philippines "Car of the Year" award goes to *drum rolls* ... Mirage!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Wink The Philippines "Car of the Year" award goes to *drum rolls* ... Mirage!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EtotheZ For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2013),noob@cars (04-05-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo. Its good to see the Mirage earning its keep for Mitsu.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

After having tested around 80 new vehicles introduced to the Philippine market from October 2011 to October 2012, the Car Awards Group Inc. (CAGI) declared the Mitsubishi Mirage the 2012-2013 Car of the Year-Philippines at an awards ceremony held tonight at the 2013 Manila International Auto Show.
    Wow! Congrats to all you smart Philippines Mirage owners!!

That's great news.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

The Mirage undergoing Car of the Year testing at Clark International Speedway in Pampanga:

More info on the COTY Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Car-of...ar-Philippines

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

And another vid from Top Gear Phillipines, showing the testing:

Published on Apr 2, 2013
    Top Gear Philippines technical editor Ferman Lao explains what happens during the Car Awards Group's technical evaluation.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Awesome news lets hope the Mirage keeps getting positive out comes.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    amazing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

Philippines auto writer explains COTY reasoning for Mirage

It's interesting to read the position of one of the voting auto writers.

Andy Leuterio (from the Philippine Star), sums up his thought process for ultimately picking the Mirage over several other arguably more desirable cars:

I had to remove my “jaded critic’s” hat in order to appreciate what the little Mitsubishi is all about. I had to put myself in the shoes of someone who is looking for a reliable, cute runabout that will work either as a first brand new car or a second/third spare car (or for the kids)… and then it made sense to be awarded the COTY prize.
    The full article is worth a look: http://www.philstar.com/motoring/201...irage-coty-win

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alpha_One (04-12-2013),noob@cars (04-10-2013)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ^valid points by Andy. Thanks for posting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

I liked the line about the "jaded critic's hat". I imagine it is pretty easy to get spoiled driving around expensive cars. Nice to see his description of coming back to earth!