Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying Kayaks on roof (does antenna come off roof?)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Also will 1 ratchet strap in the front window, 1 ratchet strap in the rear window and a rope tying the front of the kayak down to the eye hook on the front bumper be enough?

ie: No rope needed on the rear?
    I much prefer the front tie-downs to provide both lateral and vertical support - meaning pop the hood, tie webbing loops, then close the hood with the loop sticking out. A long boat will want to twist sideways in gusts, so two bits of parachute cord holding it from side-to-side really helps.

I have taken canoes on car tops for thousands and thousands of miles. One line on the front and none on the back will probably work, but given the consequences of failure (possible death to the person behind), I don't risk it. I put a minimum of 2 lines on the front, cam straps or rope to hold to the roof rack, and one rope on the back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Name:  2020-06-25 08.35.11.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  94.7 KB

That's how I usually load up. Obviously only works when you're taking one boat. Could carry 2 people though - split fold rear seat.

More fuel efficient too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

That's pretty fancy! How long is that thing? Might be a bit dusty if you hit some gravel roads?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12 ft?

No gravel with this setup - I made that mistake once!

And FYI, there's a ratchet strap on the front end to keep the boat from adding ventilation to the windshield.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)