Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mileage test between Mirage 5MT and CVT on set route (mostly highway)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mileage test between Mirage 5MT and CVT on set route (mostly highway)

similar to what METRO did when he test drove the two different transmission choices, i decided to do that myself.

[ MetroMPG's test: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route) ]

i went to the local dealer today and test drove a 5MT on a set route of about 80 kms / 50 miles, which included highway and suburban driving, with just a small portion in the city. afterwards, i drove my mirage, which is a CVT. both were SE trim with climate control turned off. although i did not do the test to the same level of quality as metro, i did do the exact same route and made sure to do the same speeds at all points (whenever i was able). traffic was the same for both trips. my mileage was based on the reading from the display, not at-the-pump calculations, so take that for what it's worth.

the manual beat the CVT by about 2-3 mpg for the combined trip. i was surprised to find that it even beat the CVT on the highway. in both cars i cruised at 120 km/h (70mph) with CC enabled on the highway portion of the route. the revs in the MT were about 800 rpms higher at this speed, but it didn't seem to matter as far as the mileage was concerned. At 70 mph, the MT got 2 mpg better than the CVT.

i would just like to point out that BOTH of them got excellent mileage, with the MT averaging about 47 mpg (US) / 5 L/100 km for the entire trip and the CVT averaging about 45 mpg US / 5.2 L/100 km (both solidly higher than the "combined" EPA rating). so they're both great cars! and in defense of the CVT, the acceleration is just sooo much smoother. but, if you are obsessed with mileage, you will want to try out both of these transmissions and disregard the sticker mileage.

the dealership offered me an almost across the board trade if i was interested in exchanging the MT for my CVT, even though i already have 1000s of kms on it. the sad fact is that nobody (around here) wants MTs. nobody wants to sit in rush hour with a clutch. i'm considering doing it though because i really like MTs.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-28-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: (added to title; link to city MPG test; some metric conversions)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

3dplane (04-28-2015),beerbelly58 (04-29-2015),Daox (04-28-2015),Don (04-28-2015),MetroMPG (04-28-2015),Teasmade (04-28-2015),wellswebdesign (04-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent test. It still seems odd to me how so many cars can't achieve the EPA estimates (my wifes' 2010 Accent), yet the Mirage consistently exceeds their estimates. Methinks they need to stop estimating and do real world testing!

Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    the sad fact is that nobody (around here) wants MTs. nobody wants to sit in rush hour with a clutch. i'm considering doing it though because i really like MTs.
    Not counting a weird situation where I had 2 different cars before I even drove, while I was a teenager in the 90s, I've had exactly 2 cars. A 99 Saturn SL2 automatic I bought brand new, and the Mirage ES manual I just replaced it with. Until last summer, that is, when I bought an 84 Ranger with a manual transmission, so I could teach myself to drive a stick shift. I knew I'd be replacing the Saturn, and I knew I wanted a manual, both for fun, cost, and fuel efficiency.

My commute is all city streets, about 6 miles, with 12 stoplights I almost always get red (grrr), and a little bit of stop and go, where it sometimes takes several cycles of the traffic light to get through (again, grrr). Even though I'm a novice manual transmission driver, the clutch is so light on the Mirage, you barely feel it. This weekend, I took the truck to the hardware store a couple times, and then got right in the Mirage to drive somewhere else. I thought I was going to put a hole in the floor with my left foot!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks El Kapitan,

I like the manual mostly because it give me the feeling of Driving where for the most part with the Auto i just feel like i am riding in the car. Knowing i can eek out more MPGs is just a bonus. Thanks for posting this and doing the test.

When my Wife and I went to test drive a Mirage last week and when i was driving the CVT and hearing it go through the motions of changing gears all i could think of was the old Automatic trannys when they were low on fluid and would slip in and out of gears. It wasnt anything but the noise, i found it funny it brought that memory back.

The wife and i both loved the Manual. i hope to be getting my car tomorrow and will post some pics of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

El Kapitan - thank you, thank you! This is just the kind of test I've been wanting to do ever since I did the city mileage comparison. (If I coulda pressed that "THANKS" button multiple times for you, I would have.)

I'll admit I'm slightly surprised. I would have bet the CVT would have edged out the 5-speed given the highway driving.

How much of your route % was highway vs. sub/urban?

Other considerations: did your test route originate from the dealership for both laps? I assume the 5-speed was started cold, while your CVT arrived warm, so the CVT would have even had a slight advantage over the 5MT. Also, it's generally thought that a brand new car (the 5MT) will return slightly worse fuel economy than one that has has some miles on it... so advantage CVT, again. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    the dealership offered me an almost across the board trade if i was interested in exchanging the MT for my CVT, even though i already have 1000s of kms on it. the sad fact is that nobody (around here) wants MTs. nobody wants to sit in rush hour with a clutch. i'm considering doing it though because i really like MTs.
    Wow! What are you going to do? You already know I'd do the exchange in a heartbeat, mostly because I just enjoy driving stick. Even if the Mirage stick got slightly worse real world mileage, I'd probably choose it anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: I added a link in your post to my city CVT vs. 5MT mileage showdown thread. And I edited that thread to link to this one as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    driving the CVT and hearing it go through the motions of changing gears all i could think of was the old Automatic trannys when they were low on fluid and would slip
    Yes, the CVT definitely feels/sounds different if you haven't driven one before.

Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    the Mirage consistently exceeds their estimates
    I'm convinced Mitsu slightly low-balled their MPG ratings. So many manufacturers have been busted in the last few years for submitting falsely high MPG ratings, maybe Mitsubishi played it conservative, knowing how much of their marketing would be focused on the car's fuel economy. They didn't want mud on their name if people found out the numbers weren't attainable.

the clutch is so light on the Mirage, you barely feel it.
    Agreed - lightest, easiest clutch I've ever driven. Anyone worried that driving a 5-speed Mirage in city traffic is going to wear them out just needs to try one.

This weekend, I took the truck to the hardware store a couple times, and then got right in the Mirage to drive somewhere else. I thought I was going to put a hole in the floor with my left foot!
    Ha! Even my Metro (Firefly) is stiff compared to the Mirage. Getting back into the Firefly, I thought, "man, this feels like driving a truck."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Don (04-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great test! Thanks for taking the time to do it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote:
    Ha! Even my Metro (Firefly) is stiff compared to the Mirage. Getting back into the Firefly, I thought, "man, this feels like driving a truck."

I'd like to add, the 3-cylinder Metros sold in Europe as the "Suzuki Swift" either came with an American-made clutch, or with a LUK clutch. The LUK clutch-plate has a different kind of spring setup in the middle, and the pressure required for applying the clutch was only about half of what it was with the other manufacturers clutch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-28-2015)

Didn't know that, foama. Thanks.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    MetroMPG said, "I'm convinced Mitsu slightly low-balled their MPG ratings."
    The tests are standardized tests done in a laboratory. There should be no way to low-ball.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)