Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Before I trade my CVT for a manual can anyone offer any advice???

I would still recommend doing the manual vs CVT comparison test on the same route. Especially if you're going to be keeping this car for another 10 or 20 years, like your Geo. If you're a moderately good eco-driver, I think you may be surprised at the fuel economy difference in city driving.

I'm just about the last person who would ever advise someone to spend money needlessly, but on that kind of time scale $1k isn't much to spend to enjoy your car fully instead of feeling like it's just "good enough".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That makes since. Well it sounds like, you have the Best opportunity to get a manual while you can. Let us know what you decide. And send us pictures
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nternal 1 ,,,, I test drove both before I got my De. I test drove a silver manual and to be really truthful I didn't care for the manual because the motor sounded diffrent and it felt like you had No clutch . And that was hard for me to except. Have you test drove the manual? So when I went to pick up my mirage it was a Done Deal I whanted the CVT
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What fuel economy are you getting? I don't think the 2.2K is worth it , but it is up to you. I personally love the smoothness and super low rpm's on the highway and if you stomp on it it shoots up to the correct spot on the power band pretty much instantly (at least the 2 times I've done it).
    The reason I would prefer the manual is for engine off coasting or if you are one of the mirage owners that is going to lower the car and put it on some sport tires to have some fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    What fuel economy are you getting? I don't think the 2.2K is worth it ...
    My fuel economy is still improving so it's hard to say.
    You do realize that $2200 CDN is "only" $1500 USD
    Last edited by nternal1; 05-13-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nternal1 View Post
    My fuel economy is still improving so it's hard to say.
    You do realize that $2200 CDN is "only" $1500 USD
    I guess that is closer, but try this to see if it's worth it.
    Plug your numbers in here
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

If you get 3 mpg better and you drive 15k miles a year over 10 years you are only saving around $360 USD. But you can play around with the fuel economy, cost and how long you plan on owning it to see if it's a good deal for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you're 100% sure you can discipline yourself to drive like a granny, then you will see those numbers.

I drive like I stole the car all the time and have extra-wide tires, and get an average of 35mpg. I also, most of the time, have extra (unneeded) weight in the car.

You can get so much gas for 1k. Is it worth the 1-2mpg?

I got the MT because I love driving a slow car fast, rowing through the gears, and (every so often) seeing the redline.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If you're 100% sure you can discipline yourself to drive like a granny, then you will see those numbers...
    That's sort of what I've been starting to suspect as I've adapted to the driving the CVT. I've been wonderring whether manual owners are beating the CVTs is by taking advantage of the control they have over the shift points and excercising some fairly obsessive driving techniques. I've discovered that I can drive my CVT normally now (without putting much effort into "trying" to improve my mileage) and still get very good fuel economy. I've also started to notice how pleasant and effortless the CVT is in the city. Unless my dealer comes back to me and offers something close to an on-par trade I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the CVT.

I've been wonderring whether manual owners are beating the CVTs is by taking advantage of the control they have over the shift points and excercising some fairly obsessive driving techniques.
    It's not necessary to be obsessive: 1) just upshift early, 2) use top gear whenever cruising (even at low-ish speeds), and 3) coast in neutral where appropriate.

None of these things are permitted when a manual car is run through the EPA/NRCAN fuel economy tests, which is why it's easier to beat the MPG rating of a manual transmission by a wider margin than an automatic. The EPA/NRCAN testing rules handicap the real world potential of manual transmission vehicles. They always have and always will.

You're probably familiar with the Micra (not available in the U.S.) The manual & automatic Micra have a nearly identical combined mileage rating (there's a 0.1 L/100 km difference). I took a manual Micra and followed an automatic Micra over a 20 km / 12 mile route covering city roads & outskirts in exactly the same traffic, speeds & conditions. Using those 3 easy techniques, the manual car reported 5.1 L/100 km at the end of the drive, and the automatic showed 6.5.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)