Thread: Backup Camera Mod?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Backup Camera Mod?

Has anybody here messed with making it so the backup camera can engage without being in reverse? I'm driving a manual trans 2018 for reference. Im wondering if it's possible to wire the backup camera to a switch on the dash that could be engaged at any time.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am sure its possible, I believe the reverse indicator cable is part of the main connector going to the head unit. If you search on the forum you can find a factory service manual which will have the wiring diagrams.

Some aftermarket head units and nicer cars allow for the backup camera to be viewed without the car being in reverse.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Yes, just tap the reverse wires to a cable with constant 12V (like power cable for radio, heated seat buttons... whichever is close by and runs 12V at all times while driving) and install a switch inbetween your power wire (car side) to reverse trigger cable (backup camera side).
    Last edited by bnas; 07-19-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I've thought about this as well. However, I wonder IF ... when switching to display the rear camera, maybe the reverse lights would be triggered ON as well. Not a big deal if it does ... just wondering. I haven't pursued it because, the Mirage is so small, I can see behind it good enough.

And, it's not really needed to back up to hitch my trailer either because ... you can't be towing a trailer that can't be lifted at the tongue and sat on the hitch. If the trailer is too heavy to do that, a Mirage shouldn't be towing it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I edited my first post to clear things up a bit. Thats exactly how I have done it on my mirage. It will work and the reverse lights wont be triggered on by this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bnas For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-20-2023)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    This may be useful https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...age-Space-Star. Cheers

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to edPower For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-21-2023)