Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Guards on, and AVG mpg pic

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rain Guards on, and AVG mpg pic

Hi Guys

We got the rain guards when we bought the car, they charged to put them on so i did it myself. here is how it looks. In Texas it gets Hot.you have to capitalize the H in hot when your talking about Texas heat, just how it is. So being able to leave the windows cracked a little will help with inside temps. and maybe help not melt the cars computer.

Also a mpg pic, only 170 on the tank so far, about 50/50 hwy and back roads. dont kow how well i can hold it up till i fill up be we will see.

Attached Images Attached Images   

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Looks good!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Don (05-12-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Looks good Don. How much did the guards cost you?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Don (05-12-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Daox,

I think they were 74 dollars at the dealers + tax. that is about 25 dollars higher than you can get them off of ebay. But this is my first new car and probably the last car i will own so i wanted to get ones that were made for it.

They have the sticky tape on them but also have two clips on each rain guard that help it stay in place. I don't think the clips are needed and i didn't like them because you have to pull the rubber door seal for the window out of the way to install the clips. Not a big deal but it seems wasteful and i have never seen this on any other rain guards that were installed.

I wouldn't go that route again, most auto parts stores should be able to get them cheaper. unless you want them to have Mitsubishi stamped on them then i would say get them off ebay or from your local auto parts store. they do work great for keeping the car cooler in the summer and you don't have to worrie about rain.

thanks for reading, Don

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-12-2015)

58 mpg US! Nice going. You have a pretty MPG friendly route & driving style.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Don (05-12-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good!
    I could not help noticing on the second pic that the engine is running!
    It will display everything with just the key on or in run mode if you got push button.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Don (05-12-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Metro,

Honestly im driving it slow and coasting sometimes engine on and sometimes engine off, I did get it up to 60 mpgs at one time but then let someone drive it lol and they got it down to 55. all i could do was get it up to 58 on the way home. I think maybe i am doing some stuff right and some stuff wrong.

I am trying to when i am doing engine On coasting to coast for a second in gear to have the engine cut the fuel quicker then get to neutral. Also when the road is flat I am feathering the gas pedal and doing some in gear coasting and that seems to also do ok. I know engine off is the best, just not always a good option.

It is very hilly in the area I live. i cant say that is a bad thing as there is always a place to coast and then another hill to climb. It is just trying to learn the most efficient way to do this car. I try to keep my rpms low but i am not sure if i am gaining or losing doing that when getting up to speed. I always try to get to 5th asap (Usualy about 25 mph). but doing that means you cover a lot more ground in gear before you are at a speed that it is good to start coasting. the long delay in the AVG MPG display makes it hard to know what is actually best RPM.

I am hoping other people That are shooting for the super high mpgs and have the 5 speed model might chime in and tell us what is working for them. Speeds coasting, are they doing key starts or bump starts after an engine off coast? I have the ES model so i am just doing it with the switch. I did pump the tires up to 45 psi today so that should help a bit with coasting.

thanks for reading. Don

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks 3dplane,

Im still getting use to that push button start. i have to remember to keep my feet off the clutch when i just want to see the guages. I would love to learn about your driving habits. do you get up to speed fast and then coast or pulse and glide or take your time.

I think i read where you said you were able to get it up to 60 mpg average in (I think 14 miles) from a cold start. That is impressive! I would love to hear about that, I can only guess there are some long engine off coasts but would be great to hear more from you about what you have learned about the car and eco driving tips. also what psi do you run your tires at?

Thanks in advance, Don

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

I think i read where you said you were able to get it up to 60 mpg average in (I think 14 miles) from a cold start. That is impressive! I would love to hear about that, I can only guess there are some long engine off coasts but would be great to hear more from you about what you have learned about the car and eco driving tips. also what psi do you run your tires at?

Thanks in advance, Don
    Hey Don!

I think you read when i responded to the CVT-manual dilemma that one time I was able to get a CVT mirage to display 60 MPG in about 2.5 miles.

Coincidentally today I had another opportunity to drive a CVT in city and could not get the darn thing to go past 45 MPG.
    However I had company so the A/C was on the whole time plus traffic lights,no neutral coasts, etc!

With my manual mirage I accelerate relatively slowly and go from 5th to neutral back and forth bouncing between various speeds depending on what traffic allows me to get away with.

Recently I've been leaving the engine on except where I can justify shutting it off for an extended coasting.

Sometimes right after someone passes me with a large vehicle I accelerate to see how fast they are going and as soon as our speed matches I use it along with their "shield" to do a long EOC. I tipically do this maybe a mile before a stop sign.

(so my car does 70 MPH at least once a day )

Tire pressures are about 48-50 PSI. I don't check it often because my smooth wheel covers make it a pain to do so.

If you want to work the display up to high numbers and traffic allows you to do so get up to 50 MPH pull to neutral coast down to 40 MPH and repeat. (could try lower numbers too) it should go 60+ MPG in a few miles if weather is warm.(no need to shut engine off)

Also my car has mild mods such as lower grille block,smooth wheel covers,a bit of lowering in the front,passenger mirror folded,hood gaps "sealed" with foam strips and I carry a heavy tool box in the trunk (less than 100 LBS) which contrary to general consensus I believe it helps on the highway keeping momentum.

I don't know how much all these mods help but that's what I got going on.
    Oh yes and I don't use A/C unless really necessary. I run with the driver side windows about a couple inches down!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Don (05-13-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi , don were they easy to put on? I bought the same ones and haven't put them on yet. I was going to have them put them on but Thir exspensive . So I'm going to put them on my self

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

Don (05-13-2015)