Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Maikäfer" from Germany

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    Since the car is new, I want to have an earlier oil change for myself. It is not recommended by the Mitsubishi garage. But when checking the oil the first time, I recognized a silver coating on the oil dipstick that is because of running in the motor parts. No metal shavings at all, but nevertheless I think changing the oil will be a good idea. Next oil change will be at 20000 kilometers service after the next 12000 km and then all 20000 kilometers, what means about half a year with my commute. That´s enough in my opinion. Furthermore I want to improve mileage by changing from 10W40 to 0W20 oil and installing the lowering springs to reduce air drag.

I will get on the winter tires only in october, but now there is a special offer for Mitsubishi winter tires. Mitsubishi uses the original aluminium rims and Falken tires. I don´t like the optic of the rims and the only Falken winter tires that are available here in Germany have index F for fuel efficiency whereas the Continental tires have index C (like the Ecopia summer tires).

I have Continental winter tires with index F on my Daihatsu and the fuel consumption with the winter tires is about 0,2 l/100 km lower than with the bad summer tires of index E. The Daihatsu rolls even better on the winter tires than the Space Star on the Ecopia summer tires.

If the difference in fuel consumption is only 0,2 l/100 km between the Falken and Continental winter tires, which is absolutely realistic, it means more costs with the Falken tires of about 200-250 € on 80000 kilometers (fuel price is about 1.50 € per liter).

The special offer for the Mitsubishi wheels and tires means 170 € each, but I think my favoured tires and wheels will not be much more expensive, since the tires cost about 60 € each and the rims, too. That means there are 50 € left for the sensor and mounting the tire on the wheel. If the offer is under 200 € each, I will get them.
    Excellent cost/benefit analysis!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    25Plus,,,,,I only had 2,500 miles on my mirage when I had it changed at the Dealer, and they Never said anything that I was changing it to soon. So have your oil changed. It's your car , and you have the wright to have it done as many times as you whant. So between the the Frist 7,500 miles I had my changed twice. And I like your post about your tires and wheels . Make sure they really ck the tire sencer before you leave so that your tire light don't come on.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks
    @25Plus: Ok that's clear but did the factory put the 10w40 in ? 0w20 is way better and the only recommended oil for the Space Star, while you also can use 5w30 if you drive alot but 0w20 is the best to use.

@DebBuryl: My story for owning a Mitsubishi is a but similair I used to own a few but sold them quickly because the early types of Colt where completly rotten by rust after owning it for max 1,5 years. And when I lived in Curacao My Lancer which I brought with me was stolen because they thought it was a Evo 3 en banged it up against an tree. Furthermore Mitsubishi is only popular as pick up truck or the Lancer Evo and also quite expensive and the used ones are banged up cars from The Netherlands and USA so I drove a few Suzuki's/Honda and Peugeots there. But now finally I drive a Mitsubishi again.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Great minds think alike!

Yes, I added some pictures to my garage. But I don´t know how to get inside the garage. I can only see the main picture in any garage.

I made the pictures the day I got the car with about 30 km on the odometer. The first trip was to the DIY store to buy car polishing. Then I washed my new car and polished it only 1 hour after picking it up from the car dealer.

I´m a real petrolhead, but not the kind of loving big motors and repairing the cars myself.

PS: Now I added some text to my pictures and they are shown correctly.
    Hi from Holland! Your story is my story. I also drove a Daihatsu Cuore before the Space Star 1.2 CVT. In my experience the fuel consumption is the same, whereas the Mitsubishi has more power, weighs more, and has an automatic gearbox! So, well done by Mitsubishi, I would say.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Eventually I got my new winter tires yesterday, Continental Winter Contact TS 850 and ProLine BX 100 rims. The rims seem to be made in China, at least the report of technical testing organization (TÜV) was made there. The rims come with a general operating licence (ABE) and therefore I don´t have to get my car approved by the TÜV and have the vehicle documents corrected. The rims weigh about 5.85 kg each.

The tires are a little bit smaller than the Bridgestone Ecopia (about 2-3 % regarding GPS speed compared to indicated speed - odometer should be correct now, since it measured about 2.5 % less kilometers) and feel much softer because of the very high tire profile. The tires are a little bit louder, too. I can´t say anything about fuel consumption until now but will give an update when I know more. But I really like the looks of the rims.
    Name:  Winterreifen.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  98.3 KB
    Name:  Winterreifen_Kontrast.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  97.6 KB
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-27-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very Nice Pictures! Nice Mirage, very Nice Wheels!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Such a nice clean car. Love the color too.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I sold my Space Star for a 2021 Suzuki Swace (Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid 1.8) yesterday. It was a really good choice 7 years ago and with a fuel consumption under 3.5 l/100 km after 136700 km, I think it was the cheapest way to drive a new car with 5 seats for such a long time.

The one and only part that had to be changed except for spark plugs and windscreen wipers I can remember was the alternator last year. There had been water in the connector and the connector pins of the alternator burned.

First brakes until the end, first tires - nothing to complain talking about reliability. I even can´t remember a broken lightbulb.

The last 18 months I drove only 5000 km comparing to 40000 km in the first year because of homeoffice, so I didn´t want to bring the car to the garage for service such early and even the "TÜV" run out in april. So I was happy to get some money by selling it to the Suzuki dealer and having no work for cleaning the car and costs for the service and new "TÜV" to sell it otherwise.
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-19-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I sold my Space Star for a 2021 Suzuki Swace (Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid 1.8) yesterday. It was a really good choice 7 years ago and with a fuel consumption under 3.5 l/100 km after 136700 km, I think it was the cheapest way to drive a new car with 5 seats for such a long time.

The one and only part that had to be changed except for spark plugs and windscreen wipers I can remember was the alternator last year. There had been water in the connector and the connector pins of the alternator burned.

First brakes until the end, first tires - nothing to complain talking about reliability. I even can´t remember a broken lightbulb.

The last 18 months I drove only 5000 km comparing to 40000 km in the first year because of homeoffice, so I didn´t want to bring the car to the garage for service such early and even the "TÜV" run out in april. So I was happy to get some money by selling it to the Suzuki dealer and having no work for cleaning the car and costs for the service and new "TÜV" to sell it otherwise.
    I might be dealing with a failing alternator on my wife's G4, if our fix doesn't work. How much did you pay for the alternator? Here in America its $1000.00 USD for one.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I had to pay 900€. I was told that there was only one alternator in stock in Germany. And only the Mitsubishi original part was available.

Daihatsu Cuore L251: