Thread: '97 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

'97 Mirage

I'm hopefully going to be buying my co-workers 1997 Mirage DS pretty soon. Currently my wife and I share a car so I'm buying it just for the convenience of having two cars and not having to share all the time.

My question is, what are the recommended spark plugs and wires for the Mirage?

Also, anything I should be on the lookout for? Like, do these cars tend to burn oil like my current car does (Saturn S-series)?

I've also only seen the inside of his car once, but I think it didn't have any carpet. Where would be a good source to get some? Besides the dealer, I'd rather not pay those prices if I can help it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site eb113013.

Unfortunately, we really don't focus on the older Mirage models. We're mainly just for the 2014+ generation Mirage.

You will find a lot more information for your car on: http://www.mirageforums.net/
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ngk ngk ngk denso if you can't find ngk. Timing belt, not sure how often it has to be changed. We are more of a new model mirage board, we will do our best to help mirages of the past though
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome !! You see a lot of these Mirages going around. They should be Good little cars. Ck the web for some older mirage clubs I'm sure there is. I really like those mirages myself. In fact if I replace my work car in going to get a older mirage. Ck on EBay to see about parts
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or a junk yard. Welcome from SeaTac from bluejellybean
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Welcome to the site eb113013.

Unfortunately, we really don't focus on the older Mirage models. We're mainly just for the 2014+ generation Mirage.

You will find a lot more information for your car on: http://www.mirageforums.net/
    Thank you for the link. I think I found the forum for 97-02 models.

Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Ngk ngk ngk denso if you can't find ngk. Timing belt, not sure how often it has to be changed. We are more of a new model mirage board, we will do our best to help mirages of the past though
    I'm definitely familiar with NGK, NGK is the only recommended ones for my current car. And Denso for the 02 sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Welcome !! You see a lot of these Mirages going around. They should be Good little cars. Ck the web for some older mirage clubs I'm sure there is. I really like those mirages myself. In fact if I replace my work car in going to get a older mirage. Ck on EBay to see about parts
    I've actually only seen one other 97' Mirage DE around here, might be different up closer to the Seattle area. And I'll be buying any parts off eBay, and some on Amazon. Unless it's just something cheap like spark plugs or wires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked that mirage up to see what it looks like. And I do see a few of those going around here. It's nice to see them all fixed up and still on the road!!! I like that body style. Let us know how it goes. And send some pictures.
    hello from bluejellybean

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    eb113013, from Texas, a big Lone Star welcome, hope you get the car you are wanting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    eb110013, one more thing, before you buy the 1997 you might want to run a "CARFAX" report to see if the car has any negative history and you might want to have a mechanic check out the unit, the mechanic might cost you $100 to $150 but that could save you hundreds more down the road of a "eighteen year old" car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    eb113013, for the carpet replacement, firstly why doesn't it have any carpet? Was it underwater? Was it flooded? CarFax might shed some light there. If the lack of carpet was just because it became too ragged then you might look at some junk yards like a pick and pull type yard, you might also check with "JC WHITNEY AUTO PARTS" check this out;

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...subishi+mirage

Does the current owner have maintenance records? How many miles are on the car? I'm making these suggestions because I made the same mistake, I believe, you are getting ready too make when I was younger. I bought a car from a "friend" who said the car ran perfectly and all he needed was $1000 so he could get a newer car. The "Dealer" would only give him $500.00 which now tells me the car had no value except for scrap metal. Whatever you are going to pay, do yourself a favor and keep the peace and tranquillity of your family life, and have the 1997 checked out by a mechanic before you buy.

Good Luck,
    Carl