Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paint durability

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue5mt View Post
    Yes I applied a 6" strip of the 3M stuff across the leading edge of the hood, but the rest of the car is not protected, and in my opinion failing all over the place. Such a shame. Only 5000 KM. Im really happy otherwise.��
    I'm in exactly the same spot - I just went out to put another coat of touch-up paint on and found 3 more new chips. It now, with under 4000km, is about equal to my old Ford Focus with 200,000km of rougher use. I'll ask about warranty next time I am in, but they will almost certainly say (stone chips are normal wear - just like an accident - not a defect). Incidentally, the Ford had pretty weak window glass that cracked much easier than the Oldsmobile before it (though only 3 times in 11 years).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ill be plasi dipping my car in the near future to fix paint issues. My car front with 30k km is speckled with chilped paint.

One of the very few downsides to this car!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    Ill be plasi dipping my car in the near future to fix paint issues. My car front with 30k km is speckled with chilped paint.

One of the very few downsides to this car!
    I've just been reading about that. Interesting stuff. Is that something that as an amateur I should try to do myself (I've done some general painting and can apply tape and such, but have no auto-paint experience).

When they say it lasts 1-3 years, then what? Peel and re-apply, or just paint over it?

I was thinking of maybe trying the clear spray paint version.

Plasti-dip is looking better since I got a rough estimate of $1400 to do the rockers (and a bit higher) and fenders for Line-X. Line-X is good stuff, but probably tougher than I really need just for road debris.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    lol - glad I'm not the only one! I've already relinquished myself to the fact that I will be going to get the entire front fascia re-painted professionally somewhere. I'd do it myself, but with such a large area to paint, doing it outside is not going to work since all the crap floating in the air would get into the paint job providing a unsatisfactory result. Just leaving your car outside for 1 or 2 hours after washing it and seeing all the little air contaminants settled on the car's surface, you can imagine what I mean.

Paint job is definitely too fragile. I do all that can be done to protect the paint by never taking the highway, taking alternate routes when there is road construction, I never follow closely behind, absolutely avoid driving behind large semi's/trucks..and my front fascia area is still quite beat up.

Oh well, it will be pretty fun to get a re-paint. My Mirage is Infrared. Instead of getting the front fascia re-painted Infrared, I think I'm going to get it done in flat black sometime when my car reaches 3-4 years old.

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm very fortunate that I have it own shop from a previous business. I can get left over aircraft clear coat from where I work now. When I clear it, there will be dust in the clear, but I'll just buff it out. Then at least the paint won't "self distruct"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i was thinking of having both ours clear coated to help protect the rally strips. ive notice a flaw everytime i wash and the car is black so it often!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Man i was just out at a wash the other day. My ROOF has paint chips on it o.O

Its really that bad.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Scary

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    If y'all wanted Bentley paint, ya shoulda bought Bentleys!

I have noticed a number of large BUG STRIKES which have left seemingly permanent marks on my paint. Oh well...

I don't think it's the paint Mitsubishi used, but rather the amount that is applied. The topcoat paint on these cars just seems, well...thin.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-13-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If y'all wanted Bentley paint, ya should bought Bentleys!

I have noticed a number of large BUG STRIKES which have left seemingly permanent marks on my paint. Oh well...

I don't think it's the paint Mitsubishi used, but rather the amount that is applied. The topcoat paint on these cars just seems, well...thin.
    i dont think the paint should be chipping off with rain drops. i waxed mine several coats and so far it helping a little.