Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just traded CVT for manual and now have a new (unanticipated) problem...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah yeah a clutch job is not easy, but as far as clutch jobs go a fwd tiny car is just about the easiest! Well my aircooled volkswagen was probably the easiest, just yank the entire engine out in about 45 minutes.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alex16,,,,, yeah I'm a old VW guy. In fact one of my Frist cars was a 68 beetle that I loved! I also had a 69 westy ,73 westy. And a 69 square back all sticks. Those were the good ole days I really miss them! Those were easy to replace your selve! O I forgot my other Best ones I had here in the pacific northwest a 1962 beetle very nice all original. And a 65 split window van those two I almost cryed when I had to let them go. In fact I brought the 65 split from tenn to Washington when we moved out here.
    Last edited by debburyl; 05-25-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot some favorites
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Alex16,,,,, yeah I'm a old VW guy. In fact one of my Frist cars was a 68 beetle that I loved! I also had a 69 westy ,73 westy. And a 69 square back all sticks. Those were the good ole days I really miss them! Those were easy to replace your selve!
    All bugs... 65, 68, 69, 72 super 72 super 74 super. I had my 65, 69, 72 super all as daily drivers, the constant maintenance was a hassle! Great cars though, the 65 was beautiful and the 72 super rode/drove like a dream as far as aircooleds go!.

But yes clutch jobs on those are much easier! Sorry for getting off topic

I am looking forward to the first person to get a clutch replacement DIY, I might be the first though haha! I like being hands on with my car, one more reason Mirage>Fiesta.

Not sure if someone has done DIY youtube video on how to eco drive with a manual, that would be a lot better IMO than describing it via text Might be something I'll have to do...
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No problem two old VW guys
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    But even if you don't hypermile you know that your engine does not have to spend energy to turn a hydraulic pump to create pressure and some waste heat (evidenced by the larger grille opening for the trans cooler) to keep a CVT transmission going.
    I didn't think there was a hydraulic pump in the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The torque converter pumps fluid through it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nissan CVTs, the torque converter works like a clutch. If I had an auto I would want it to be a CVT. Altimas are up to 38 highway with the CVT and fluid changes are pretty cheap since there is little fluid in the tranny.

The sheaves are hydraulically actuated. A lot of work has been done to minimize losses and the 2k rpm at 60 versus 3k of the manual is nice. I would have taken the auto but not enough to pay more for it. Gear ranges are much wider than the manual.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)