Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just traded CVT for manual and now have a new (unanticipated) problem...

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Just traded CVT for manual and now have a new (unanticipated) problem...

Just to be clear, when I traded my CVT I was just starting to learn how to drive it so that it felt "normal" while keeping the rpms low and getting great fuel economy. I must admit I started to get a little greedy because, all the while, I was both conscious and envious of the the fact that people were consistently getting better results with the manual transmission (based on the forum fuel consumption log). Since a manual also gives much better control over how one utilizes the power available from the engine at any given time (allowing for more "performance" when and if required) I figured I would try and "have my cake and eat it too" by trading in my CVT.

Now that I've switched to the manual I find that, after driving to work (and back) twice, I get about the same mileage. While, admittedly the car has less than 200km on it and I have yet to ascertain the accuracy of the MPG indicator (I won't know until I've gone full tank and can do my own calculation), this is still a little disappointing. It seems to me that, in order to do better than the CVT, I'm going to have to be extra conscious of my shift points and rpm, particularly on hills. Unfortunately this creates a new, un-forseen and potentially significant problem.

The CVT is programmed to go to lowest possible rpm that is safe for the engine when climbing a hill. When I climb a hill with the manual I have to balance trying to get low rpms with not lugging the engine. I tend to err on the side of not lugging the engine since it won't do me much good to get good fuel economy if I add unnecessary and premature wear on the engine. I now have to wonder if people have been getting better fuel economy with their manuals at the expense of extra wear and tear on the engine. I guess that's what you get for trying to "have it all".

Any thoughts on the hill "issue"?

Last edited by nternal1; 05-21-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man you just spent a lot of money to save a few bucks a year at the pump!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I doubt I'm adding extra wear and tear on my engine getting better mileage.

Just take the hills normally. Hard to say how without being there to see these hills.

On level ground I often pull out( accelerate) from 1000 rpm with no lugging.

Once yo are used to driving your new car,you will have greater control of rpm,engine braking that the CVT would not allow you.

I enjoy the fact with the manual that if the opportunity comes I can shut my engine off and keep rolling without causing damage to anything on the car.
    The last two minutes of my drive to my house is a good example where I can do this all the way to my parking spot. That would not be good for a CVT,and I've got proof that there is no point in running the engine for this last leg of my commute.

But even if you don't hypermile you know that your engine does not have to spend energy to turn a hydraulic pump to create pressure and some waste heat (evidenced by the larger grille opening for the trans cooler) to keep a CVT transmission going.

Not knocking on the CVTs just talking efficiency here

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

deleted user (05-21-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in North East Texas, (Hill Country) and coast and kill the engine and everything i can on these backroads to Get more of what i wanted with this car, Efficiency.

It is all about learning the car and you adapting to that. This car in the manual can get some great millage if you just drive it normal.

If you even try to drive it for fuel efficiency it will blow its estimated MPGs out of the water. It isn't easy to lug this little engine. Just remember 5 gear at 25+ mph except on steep hill climbs and your will be golden.

My last 2 daily drivers were an 81 VW rabbit Diesel and a 91 Volkswagen Jetta diesel.. I still have the rabbit. Both the cars were 5 speeds and honestly this car can blow them both out of the water in both ride and performance.

Even with the AC running you can get fantastic mps with this car. Just drive it a bit and learn the car. Enjoy it and remember, with the 5 speed you can drive it like a go cart and have some fun feeling like your a kid again. Or you can drive it like your trying (Notice i said trying hehe) to compete with 3dplane and smile every time you pass a gas station (And every other so called efficient car)

Thanks for reading, Don

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

deleted user (05-21-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My guess is there will just be an adjustment period for you. I've previously only driven automatics, except for the truck I bought a few months back to teach myself stick. I know that after 1300 miles in the manual Mirage, I'm getting more used to shift points, and getting slightly better mpg than when I first got it. Could be break in too, not sure. Either way, the fuel logs don't lie, manual is better than CVT for mpgs. Plus, it's more fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Ugh, I was hoping you didn't end up doing the trade, I was in the same boat as you for quite some time, but decided against it because of all the city driving I do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

It is all about learning the car and you adapting to that.

Thanks for reading, Don
    Good point...I have decades of experience with a manual but this car has it's own personality and getting to know it is important to getting the most out of it.
    BTW, with no particularly special techniques, I set a record (for MPG) this morning driving to work so I think the manual is probably going to be an improvement over the CVT. My guess is that, with around 200 km on it, the engine still has some significant "loosening up" to do.
    Last edited by nternal1; 05-21-2015 at 09:15 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nternal1 For This Useful Post:

Don (05-21-2015)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Ugh, I was hoping you didn't end up doing the trade, I was in the same boat as you for quite some time, but decided against it because of all the city driving I do.
    95% of my driving is also in the city. I don't mind operating a clutch and stick and felt I could do better in terms of mpg. I'm optimistic that this was a good choice after setting an MPG record on the way to work this morning.
    Last edited by nternal1; 05-21-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not to mention when that cvt goes...and it will...ull have to spend a ton more money just to get replaced while a manual will only need a clutch kit.

There are savings everywhere...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    Not to mention when that cvt goes...and it will...ull have to spend a ton more money just to get replaced while a manual will only need a clutch kit.

There are savings everywhere...
    My Mirage is my first manual transmission. With mostly city driving, about how many miles should I expect the clutch to last? Anyone replaced their clutch yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)