Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding sound insulation to your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Adding sound insulation to your Mirage?

I'm wondering how many people have thought about doing this? Its not an uncommon complaint that road noise and wind noise are louder in the Mirage than other vehicles. However, its also quite easy to add additional sound deadening to the interior, and even to the exterior.

Has anyone identified where the majority of the noise comes from? The wheel wells? The A-pillars?

I've heard of people using spray on rubberized undercoating (like this example on AMAZO N) in their wheel wells with good results. This reduces tire and road noise a bit. A spray can only costs a little bit of money. All you do is remove the tire, cover up the brake stuff, clean the wheel well and spray it on. Very easy.

It would also be really great if someone could pull back their carpet to see where the OEM sound deadening is placed. However, I don't see anyone doing this unless they are going to add sound deadening material. Adding additional dynamat or similar product (there are many) in key areas could really help out.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Hi! I add sound deadening material on my car, on the whole floor from back to front, inside the doors all 5, and round the wells house.
    It make a BIG different from sound outside, and inside the car when listening to music

look at my Garage there you have some picture :-)

Tom.
    Some day maybe it look like this, if my son get what he want :-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS ltd 1.2 automatic: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hellstens For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-10-2013),Johnny Mullet (01-19-2017),MetroMPG (04-11-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is great. But, I only found this one picture, and it looks like the trunk. Did you have any pictures of the cabin area and what you did? We'd love to see them.

Also, what product did you use?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    its a 3mm Adhesive tar mat, and I put it on the whole car inside, from the trunk all the way up to the bulkhead in front.
    sorry I have no picture, but I take out every thing inside the car, the seats, the carpets everything, and put it on the floor.
    and back in the trunk, inside the side-plastic, around the wheel arches, and inside all doors.

OK the whole car inside then, Now it is very Quiet, and doors feels like a mercedes when you close them :-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS ltd 1.2 automatic: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hellstens For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-10-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha, thats great, thanks for sharing.

Anyone else done any sound insulation?

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hellstens View Post
    its a 3mm Adhesive tar mat, and I put it on the whole car inside, from the trunk all the way up to the bulkhead in front.
    sorry I have no picture, but I take out every thing inside the car, the seats, the carpets everything, and put it on the floor.
    and back in the trunk, inside the side-plastic, around the wheel arches, and inside all doors.

OK the whole car inside then, Now it is very Quiet, and doors feels like a mercedes when you close them :-)
    Wow great.
    Do you work this by yourself?
    Do you have any reference about the good sound insulator? The brand ? And what is the cost?

I think in INA, i have to pay for around USD 100-150 for sound insulation.

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Hi adityakelana I pay 100USD for all material, and I did the job by myself,
    it's very easy, every plastic piece is snapped on the car
    Just a few screws for chairs and center console, and the different in sound is Big,
    as I say before, to close the doors feels like a mercedes ;-)
    I dont know the brand only that it is 3mm tar mat, But use a strong contact glue on the tar mat too, your country is very hot I think
    so you need to do that to be sure it stuck safety

Hope this help you,

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hellstens For This Useful Post:

foama (06-07-2015),laceygirl (10-05-2015),MetroMPG (04-12-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are the total weight added to the vehicle after the sound proofing? or how heavy are the total materials? i'd like to sound proof my mirage too but i dont want to compromise the weight since i live on nothing but hills

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    bump **

and can anyone help me with how to remove the ceiling panel , i am adding some sound deadening and it needs it on the roof

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Instead of putting tar mats down, couldn't you just spray rubber in under the carpets?