Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to do UBER in my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If any of you guys care to share your results with uber I would be interested in knowing, if you don't mind?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my jurisdiction, the issue with Uber seems to be the licensing/regulatory framework. There is a taxi cab board, and a limited number of licenses available. Licenses sell for something like $100,000 due to the supply/demand - basically buying a business, and the limited number means those with a license will have enough fares to keep them going. The Taxis have to be inspected like any commercial vehicle, and drivers require a higher class of license, which is much more expensive and time consuming. There are also costs associated with maintaining a dispatch system, and business taxes and such.

Uber, which in my limited understanding is private citizens who are not licensed businesses and do not pay anything for a taxi license is certainly a threat to the viability of conventional taxis. As such, the cabbies don't like it. Just as an unlicensed food truck outside your local diner might not be appreciated by the diner owner.

For curiosity regarding the criminal element - are Uber rides tracked and logged somehow? If an uber car is used as a getaway vehicle, would the police/courts be able to determine that? If someone steals your phone, can they also book an uber ride to get away? Are there cameras in uber cars?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    In my jurisdiction, the issue with Uber seems to be the licensing/regulatory framework. There is a taxi cab board, and a limited number of licenses available. Licenses sell for something like $100,000 due to the supply/demand - basically buying a business, and the limited number means those with a license will have enough fares to keep them going. The Taxis have to be inspected like any commercial vehicle, and drivers require a higher class of license, which is much more expensive and time consuming. There are also costs associated with maintaining a dispatch system, and business taxes and such.

Uber, which in my limited understanding is private citizens who are not licensed businesses and do not pay anything for a taxi license is certainly a threat to the viability of conventional taxis. As such, the cabbies don't like it. Just as an unlicensed food truck outside your local diner might not be appreciated by the diner owner.

For curiosity regarding the criminal element - are Uber rides tracked and logged somehow? If an uber car is used as a getaway vehicle, would the police/courts be able to determine that? If someone steals your phone, can they also book an uber ride to get away? Are there cameras in uber cars?
    Responses
    1st/2nd part of your statement: Lots of businesses have closed down due to advances in technology. Guess taxis are next?
    3rd part of your statement: I'll talk to my District Attorney friend about that. As far as I know, there are no cameras. However, for liability's sake, those onboard cameras are cheap - 100$ would get you a pretty great quality one.
    Last edited by Ares; 05-28-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    1st/2nd part of your statement: Lots of businesses have closed down due to advances in technology. Guess taxis are next?
    Just to be clear, I have no vested interest in the taxi industry, and no real preference one way or the other. It will be interesting to see how government responds, though, as they are the ones who regulated taxis so much - will they put in similar laws for Uber . . . or make Taxi licenses free?

A camera and gps tracking would be helpful, for everyone's protection (quickly sort out false allegations on either side)

Also, I was mistaken with my $100,000 taxi license estimate - according to this article from 2009, one sold for over $400,000: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...-78399262.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just thought of one concern. While I was driving Taxi, you had to have a $1 million liability insurance policy. You also have to have a chauffeur classification on your D/L here in Michigan ( which is just a few more questions on the written test, no big deal ). I'd make sure your covered if your the cause of an accident.

Also, any way for Mitsu to find out your using your vehicle for commercial use? The 10/100 warranty is void if found out:
    This 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
    applies only to original owners of Vehicle retailed
    and registered in the United States or District of
    Columbia and excludes Vehicle placed in commercial
    use (e.g. taxi, route delivery, rental, livery service, etc.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently, uber stemmed from a few friends (usually college towns) calling/carpooling. The app just made it easier.

Another good question is that do you need to declare to your (car) insurance company that you are using the car for profit. IIRC, they have asked me once or twice if I use the car for anything other than personal use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  97.0 KB

Approved as of today..
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wooo, interesting. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My biggest fear is my h&r springs being too harsh. Might see if Cani will swap me his tein and give some gas money for me lol
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats. Looking forward to reviews. Also, how was the process? Easy, time consuming?