Thread: 3a92 cylinder bore question

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

3a92 cylinder bore question

Greetings, one and all.

I was wondering if anyone here knew the internals of the Mirage motor. What is the cylinder bore? I know the block and head are aluminium, but what is the cylinder bore? Is it plated with something directly against the block? Is it sleeved with a steel/iron liner? Wet sleeve?

Was this engine a part of the collaboration with Mercedes?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

mike

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (06-03-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My guess would be it is the "nickasil" coated aluminum, without iron liners, but I did not find definitive evidence,dating back to the GM 215 cube V8 of the 1960s that put out 215 HP and weighed 215 pounds with a turbo.

The real neatness of this engine is in the valve lift controlling throttling instead of the throttle plate and independently of the cam timing control which is completely separated from the lift function.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/mivec.html

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Greetings, one and all.

I was wondering if anyone here knew the internals of the Mirage motor. What is the cylinder bore? I know the block and head are aluminium, but what is the cylinder bore? Is it plated with something directly against the block? Is it sleeved with a steel/iron liner? Wet sleeve?

mike
    The engine bore is listed in the engine and transmission sticky at the top of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    The real neatness of this engine is in the valve lift controlling throttling instead of the throttle plate and independently of the cam timing control which is completely separated from the lift function.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/mivec.html

regards
    mech

Our engines use a traditional Throttle Body. The Variable valve timing does not control the throttle.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    The engine bore is listed in the engine and transmission sticky at the top of this forum.

Silly me. I mistakenly thought that the 75mm bore was a dimension. That "75mm" nomenclature is obviously a modern Mitsubishi metallurgical miracle...

mike

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Greetings, one and all.

mike
    Do we have any more info on this? I was also wondering if the aluminum cylinders were sleeved. My 72 Vega had
    an aluminum block and I think the cylinders had some kind of silicone treatment.
    Many of those engines died when overheating warped the cylinders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    During the collaboration with Daimler (Mercedes), the Colt Z30 was built at Nedcar. Nedar was originally built as the DAF-factory, then became one of the Volvo plants, then Colts and Smart Forfour were built there, and today the Mini. Nedcar has certainly had an interesting history of changing ownership.

The Smart Forfour and the Colt Z30 shared the same platform and many other parts during the Daimler/Mitsubishi cooperation. Engines for both and also for other models were built by MDC in the town of Kölleda in Thüringen Germany. Today MDC is a part of Daimler, and one of their major engine production plants.

I do not know what the cylinder liners of the 3A90 / 3A92 are made of, but I presume they are steel sleeves.