Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery concern (inside light dims when operating power windows)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Battery concern (inside light dims when operating power windows)

Hi, is there in any way to know if the battery is getting low? Or if its time to change? I know my Mirage is new but i noticed that when i try to push the window controls on the driver side panel the light inside dims. Is it a battery problem?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi, is there in any way to know if the battery is getting low? Or if its time to change? I know my Mirage is new but i noticed that when i try to push the window controls on the driver side panel the light inside dims. Is it a battery problem?
    You'll also find when you press the window buttons, the headlights dim, and the idle will drop.
    Happens to all the cars I have been in. Guess it's cause it draws a fair bit of power.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    I had a similar concern and asked the dealer service manager. I was told that the dimming/flickering lights were "normal" with the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Battery and alternator aren't the most powerful.

IIRC, someone on here is thinking or have put a bigger alternator and battery. I'm assuming doing that would solve you're issue.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The battery is quite large for our little engine actually, probably because of the Start/Stop system on models outside the US. I work in auto parts, and Honda Civic Hybrids use a battery that is half the size of ours.

I believe I read somewhere our Alternators are 70Amp. That is why you see dimming lights when you roll the windows up/down. At idle the alternator is going to be putting out much less than that. Probably close to half, so ~40amps. The window motors are just drawing more current than the alternator is supplying at idle, resulting in a voltage drop. This is completely normal, and our large batteries will have no problem absorbing that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All cars I've had do the same. As far as it's not really bad there's nothing to worry about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    I work in auto parts, and Honda Civic Hybrids use a battery that is half the size of ours.
    Yes; because the Civic hybrids don't have any other battery pack on them.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yes; because the Civic hybrids don't have any other battery pack on them.
    I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. But the civic hybrids do have a secondary battery pack for the hybrid system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The battery in the Mirage is not very good, big yes it is big but not what I call "good", just IMO. In the owners manual the 55D23L is rated at 356 CCA. My MR2 ran for about 3 years with a 330 CCA lawn and garden gold battery from autozone without any issues but it had no power features and a 70-80 amp alternator. I am sure my late warranty start (my Mirage being a dec 31st 2014 purchase) will help replace my battery before the 2 year battery warranty expires, my local dealership uses Interstate batteries exclusively so hopefully I get a nice interstate if my original fails.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. But the civic hybrids do have a secondary battery pack for the hybrid system.
    So, the question is, would the second battery pack be the reason why the battery on the engine bay is small... I wonder...