Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Temp Question (what temperature does radiator fan turn on?)

This forum is great. Just the info I was searching for:

radiator fan comes on at 220 F and turns back off around 206 F.
    I drove the Mirage on the freeway yesterday again for the second time since I got it in November and noticed via the ScanGauge that the coolant temp crept up to 216 F when under its highest load (slight incline). Conditions: the ambient temp was just above freezing, and the car has a partial grille block, cruising speed around 100 km/h / 60 mph on mostly flat terrain.

I got concerned that the coolant temp was "high" and the radiator fan hadn't kicked on, so I cranked up/modulated the cabin heater to drop the coolant temp to around 200.

In my Metro & Firefly, the radiator fan comes on at 204F. Thus my concern.

Obviously Mitsu is comfortable with a higher operating temperature. Higher temp = higher fuel efficiency.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-04-2020),ThunderG (02-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can anyone else confirm the radiator fan comes on at 220 f (104c)? The few other cars (not mirage) I have monitored it came on around 205. 220 sounds high.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Can anyone else confirm the radiator fan comes on at 220 f (104c)? The few other cars (not mirage) I have monitored it came on around 205. 220 sounds high.
    That's about what I've noticed:

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm noticing that at highway speeds (≅60 mph) the radiator cooling fan starts to cycle, as I notice my coolant temperature reach 221℉ then drop down to 203℉, then climb back up. I only see this when I travel at highway speeds, and I don't usually get on highways.

I noticed this on a trip I took yesterday afternoon. I pulled over and removed my block of foam for the mail slot, which of course provided some cooling. The fan operated less, but still operated.

Does anyone else notice this with their grill block?

A grill shutter would help this. An automated grill shutter would be better.
    There's more to this discussion in my Garage entry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

gone.a (02-06-2020),MetroMPG (02-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone know at what temp does the red overtemp light come on? I've searched and never found this info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

My fan cycled on at 206 F today.

ThunderG - don't know about that one. Someone with the factory service manual would have that info though.

---

New data!

Just to confuse matters, today I saw my cooling fan cycle multiple times at 206 F.

Highway driving.

The differences from last time (when I saw it hit 216 F, and I decided to pre-emptively blast the heater):

1) It was quite a bit warmer outside: 14 C / 57 F (vs. last time it was just above freezing).

2) I was driving a bit slower (~80 km/h vs. ~95-100).

3) I had the heater switched off.

To rule out that the computer wasn't watching for the heater operation, I turned it on (high heat, 2nd fan setting). The fan still cycled on at 206.

So now I'm wondering if the computer uses a different cooling fan set point based on ambient temperature. Maybe going on the logic that the colder it is outside, the faster the cooling fan will be able to bring the temperature down, so it can let things get a bit warmer before triggering the fan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (03-10-2020)