Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Mirage: how is highway acceleration?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki Mirage View Post
    I had a Echo before, I have a CVT in my Miragr and it drives and accelerates just as good as the echo if not better. If this gives you an idea I drove home today at 90MPH for 50 miles or so, no issues at all.
    I did the same thing this weekend lol. Freaking texan driving...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gots love it, even out back roads are 70 MPH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki Mirage For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Why's everybody rushing around so much in Texas?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If I had to guess, it's probably because Texas is so big . . . though Ontario is a good size too. Hmmm.

Back on topic, in everyday driving, I don't notice a difference in acceleration between the Mirage and my Ford Focus. I'm sure at redline the Focus would beat the Mirage, but from a stoplight, both do fine.

I think the Mirage has almost identical 0-60mph numbers as the old 1988 Ford F-150 I learned to drive on. That one had a 5.8L HO V-8, but a low range towing transaxle, so speed wasn't its forte. I had a 1991 Olds Cutlass Cierra (4 cyl, 2.5L engine, 110hp) and the Mirage is noticeably better in acceleration.

The CVT, if you go that way, will respond to a heavy right foot by keeping the gearing low until you let up. The acceleration might be a tiny bit worse than the manual, but probably not much. I suspect that in the hands of most amateur drivers (I include myself, and anyone who hasn't been trained on how to use a stick shift for racing), the CVT might even be equal or better than the manual. I could be wrong about this. I have the manual and have no regrets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had same concerns until I test drove one. I immediately choose the model I wanted and got my financing.

BTW....I bought mine with no money down. My credit score isn't that great any more either. 100% financed, $250 a month for 72 months ( through my Credit Union ). Point being, you might be able to get into one sooner than you think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When the speed limit is 75, everyone's going at least 80. When there's a group of 3-4 people all going 85-90, why not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speed limit in Austin is 85MPH people do 90-100. I do 90 to keep up with traffic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki Mirage For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I've said before on this forum, my 74 HP 3 cylinder Mirage is always having to wait for the 200+ horsepower car in front of me to get out of my way. The car will cruise 80 no problem.

If your previous experience is a Suzuki Sidekick and a Toyota Echo, I think you'll really like the Mirage. You won't be expecting a Lexus, will you? My 2015 5 speed regularly sees the far side of 45 mpg, even when I'm not driving it carefully.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They're in a huge hurry to get back to where they started from.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm with you!!! On this post!!! What is the Big Hurry!!!! It's a proven Fact that the Faster you Go the longer it takes to get you Stopped!!! I see it everyday people here Drive the same way always going 70 to 85 in a 60mph speed limit. And there's more Rear Enders Here then I've ever seen!! And I've been a pro Driver for a living for at least 30 yrs and people get to Flying on the fwy then all of a sudden someone try's to stop and there you go they can't stop!! All because there speed and following distance!! So for me it means my CDL and I don't whant to ruin my Mirage or anybody's car! So I refuse to drive like that! Because it takes very little to total your car! Drive safe Slow Down!!!!

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)