Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Mirage: how is highway acceleration?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Different strokes for different folks. Only way I slow down is if I'm in a different county and there's a cop riding my ass. Hell, even the cops in my county and city know my car so IDK. LoL.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    When you're up to a desired speed on the interstate the C.V.T. does a good job to keep it with little effort .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For sure, no issue.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    I'm with you!!! On this post!!! What is the Big Hurry!!!! It's a proven Fact that the Faster you Go the longer it takes to get you Stopped!!! I see it everyday people here Drive the same way always going 70 to 85 in a 60mph speed limit. And there's more Rear Enders Here then I've ever seen!! And I've been a pro Driver for a living for at least 30 yrs and people get to Flying on the fwy then all of a sudden someone try's to stop and there you go they can't stop!! All because there speed and following distance!! So for me it means my CDL and I don't whant to ruin my Mirage or anybody's car! So I refuse to drive like that! Because it takes very little to total your car! Drive safe Slow Down!!!!
    Living in Canada, and having lived in the USA, it seems to me that the US Interstate system is safer, structurally or by design than Canadian Highways. It is better engineered with more traffic going the same way, fewer intersections, and great barriers between opposing lanes. However, when there is a crash on the interstate, it seems to involve more vehicles/people and more serious injuries. I.e. fewer crashes, but more serious in nature. I attribute this to increased speed/decreased stopping distance. I attribute that to "risk homeostasis" which suggests that we are comfortable with certain odds, and if something is "too safe" we will act to counter that. Cars get better, brakes stronger, airbags, ABS/stability control, wider divided highways . . . so we driver faster while texting - if we kept all this and drove the speeds of a vehicle from 1930 it would be hard to imagine a fatality. Then again, it would be slower . . . freedom . . . progress . . . economy. Driving fatalities often make me think of the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. We as a society agree a certain number of deaths are acceptable in order to enjoy the convenience/luxury of fast transportation by car. If we didn't think those deaths and injuries were tolerable, we would limit speeds, increase the threshold for driver training/education, and enforce traffic laws more rigorously. Personally, I would be all for the idea that everyone should drive as they wish - if they weren't also threatening my life. If you want to play chicken trying to beat a train on your bike, I say to each his own. If you want to play chicken with your F-350 against my Mirage . . . I would prefer not!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    2 million dead in the US in my lifetime, pretty steep price for driving stupid.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All to get in front of the other guy? dumb!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Pop, now 94 and still driving (but not much) told me, I'd rather have the idiots in front of me.

That works fine until their junk engine tosses a con rod and it busts your windshield.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I do plenty of fast highway driving on the Autobahns and it is fast enough, and acelleration is good enough.
    If its fit for the Autobahn, what more can you want?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the 5-speed, and highway acceleration is good enough. It gets a little hairy at rush hour trying to avoid the morons, but if you can plan ahead at all, you're fine. City driving with the A/C on is GARBAGE, though. And before anyone suggests that I'm spoiled by high HP cars, my previous car was a 1981 Chevette with 300k miles on the odometer. 65 HP brand new from the factory.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hossanj View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I am a first time poster here and have been looking at buying a mirage as my first new car. I absolutely love the quoted MPG. The one thing that has been worrying me about the negative reviews from blogs and magazines is how the mirage drives on the highway. I live in New Jersey and the highways can be pretty high speed and competitive here. Is it really hard to accelerate and pass cars (in the mirage with a CVT) on the highway like reviews suggest? This has been the one big concern of mine with potentially buying a mirage.
    Those reviews are from "professional reviewers" that wet their pants every night wishing they had a Ferrari, a Lexus or are extolling the benefits of hybrids as being politically correct that will cost you big time in terms of original purchase price and maintenance costs unlike the non-hybrid normally aspirated Mirage. The most balanced review I have seen is one from YouTube from what I think was MotorWeek or something like that with the fat guy. Mileage will vary considering how you drive. There are posts here that discuss that. I would suggest that you look at them. This is a great site for doing that. I had the original Volkswagen Rabbit normally aspirated diesel with a stick (the only way you could get one considering the lack of technology at the time for automatic transmissions to compensate for low horsepower engines) and that taught me to be a better driver, to think ahead, to be more situationally (probably not a word according to my spell check but whatever) aware of traffic and type of road I was driving on. I too live in New Jersey and have found no problems with highway traffic. I've had about 12 new cars during my tenure on this earth (used to drive 40,000 miles per year for over 30 years so burned through quite a few and have found gripes with every car I have owned and I did have a modified 280Z that could leave a hundred foot patch of rubber on the road so I do understand high performance cars...the stick on the Z really sucked as every time I shifted I would get what they called an injection "thunk" they couldn't repair....the noise drove me insane). I don't have any gripes with the Mirage considering its limitations and was willing to trade them off for better gas mileage. I like it better and better each day I drive it unlike any other car I have ever driven. First, I disagree with one of the posters that the stick is better than the CVT for mpg and performance. I drove 4 of each at the dealership I went to and found the stick had a lousy feel to it (kind of rubbery and I've driven sticks for over 20 years and went for the CVT). There is body lean if you take a corner too hard but no big deal...the car still "sets" itself up nicely.....it's not as if NJ has an autobahn...if you have to pass another car on the Turnpike or Parkway, simply turn off your AC and you'll get more acceleration...the only thing for you to understand if you go above 65 mpg you will clearly sacrifice mpg...I have never found the need to do so. I can accelerate faster than my wife's SUV with the air off from a standing start and her SUV is considered to be top of the line while the CVT is smoother than her auto transmission. And here you are talking about a $40,000 car versus one for 14 grand. Just as an aside I would "seriously" recommend the ES rather than the DE. I mean that. The only problem you would have with this car as with many others is those damn New Jersey circles that some asswipe of a traffic engineer thought was a good idea to save money...I hate them and try to avoid them as much as possible...as I said....enter those at your own risk...negatives: I went after the gas mileage so take this with a grain of salt though it doesn't bother me much.....the car is so light is it subject to wind buffeting and the CVT is somewhat loud on high acceleration...my answer is just turn up the radio which is decent...the car hates potholes and hard bumps but I find on a decently maintained road it has as good a ride as my 2011 Optima I traded in for it and the wife's SUV (which is new). My only real complaint about it as small as it is was because of the lack of an over head handle hold on the rear seat passenger side so I couldn't hang the wife's dry cleaning...rectified that with an Amazon purchase that had a "hanger" that could be attached to the back of either of the front seat head rests....the other thing is the quality of the build...if your dealership has a couple of ES models look at all of them....build varies do differ even on the same model....the one I finally picked out was pretty much perfect...better than the Nissans, Chevys and Fords I looked at...seams were all aligned, both inside and outside, engine was smooth at idle...no rattles on the road....maybe the UAW should take lessons from the workers on Thailand.....

Last edited by GrouchoMarxist; 07-15-2015 at 12:32 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GrouchoMarxist For This Useful Post:

debburyl (07-15-2015)