Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Mirage: how is highway acceleration?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Considering a Mirage: how is highway acceleration?

Hello everybody,
    I am a first time poster here and have been looking at buying a mirage as my first new car. I absolutely love the quoted MPG. The one thing that has been worrying me about the negative reviews from blogs and magazines is how the mirage drives on the highway. I live in New Jersey and the highways can be pretty high speed and competitive here. Is it really hard to accelerate and pass cars (in the mirage with a CVT) on the highway like reviews suggest? This has been the one big concern of mine with potentially buying a mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know how freeways are in NJ, but I've found my manual Mirage to be "fast and powerful *enough*". I can get on the freeway with a passenger, AC on, and still not leave ECO mode.

As far as passing someone on a 2-lane highway? That would be a little iffy, but I'm also not much of a risk taker. I'd probably be content to drive the slower speed and get better mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the forum, hossanj.

Have you driven one yet? Or just not on the freeway?

I suspect your reaction to the car will be based on what you're used to driving (which is why some spoiled auto journalists don't like it -- eg. this week a Jalopnik writer called the new Miata "slow" because it takes about 6 seconds to get to 60 mph).

I think the Mirage is perfectly fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    I haven't tried to pass anyone on a 2 lane road, but I guarantee you it's better than a mid 60s Valient and light years ahead of a 58 VW.
    Plan ahead get a little running start and it should be no problem.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hossanj ,,,, Frist of all . Don't pay Any Attention to the Consumer reports that are un true Bia, false story's! Go test drive one for your selve. I thought the same way when I heard about the Mirage, and I never heard any reports on it. When I heard it was a 3cly? And a 1 speed auto Cvt? The thoughts that went threw my mind was I wonder if it could even go the speed limit! And a 1 speed trans!!! Is this a Go Kart?!!!! Lol then when I saw the car I fell in love with it!! Then the real test came I had a 350 pounder sales man myself my wife and her dog!!! Hossanj we went down the road with No problem!! Then we went up hills No problem!!! Then we took it out on the freeway I flew down the freeway with No problems way over the speed limit!!! You had to watch your speed or you would go over!! So I think it would be Great for you. And Best of all is the MPGs !! That's hard to Beat!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why don't you try one?!?!? That's the only real way YOU will know.

Honestly, the engine is enough for the car's weight. I, however, DO NOT have a CVT.

On freeway speeds, the RPMs on my 5spd are high enough to be on the powerband; which means, at times, I don't even have to downshift to 'get going.'

Hope this helps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove my mirage through New Jersey and into New York City as well, I cruised at 60mph to get 49mpg avg including driving into nyc near the Jarvis center (New York auto show). My mirage is 5 speed which I feel is more powerful, cvt does good on the highway, you have to make it scream to get there fast in accelerating but it seems to like it, when cruising it's decent but not like a larger or mid sized car. If you compare it to other cvt small cars it is about the same just better mpg. I agree test drive one, the body roll is eAsily removed with a after market sway bar
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the info, guys. I didn't know how to take all the reviews of the mirage. Just to give you some insight on what I drive, I currently have a Toyota Echo (have had this throughout college and now my first job) and also had a old suzuki sidekick when I was in high school. The sidekick had about 88 hp. Anyways, I definitely want to test drive a mirage. I am still in the process of saving for a down payment and probably won't be able to buy till the end of the year.

Oh, with that history you'll be right at home in the Mirage.

Why are you going for the CVT?

If it's for MPG, owners are finding the manual is A BIT more efficient in the real world, despite the EPA ratings. Also it's one of the lightest, easiest clutches to drive. If it's just for convenience, the CVT is fine and still gets great MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a Echo before, I have a CVT in my Miragr and it drives and accelerates just as good as the echo if not better. If this gives you an idea I drove home today at 90MPH for 50 miles or so, no issues at all.