Thread: Possibly CVT-whining?

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Possibly CVT-whining?

Hello community, I'm glad I found you!

I bought a brand new Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 with automatic transmission last week. At the end of day 1 of my ownership I noticed some high noise. It appears from 0 to 50 km/h and sounds like wind through a leaking window. Or like a very high whistling. The faster I drive (50km/h+) the less I notice the sound. I especially hear it when I let go of the gas pedal at around 50 km/h and let the engine shift down gradually. The sound disappears when I manually shift from D to N and reappears as soon as I re-shift (I tested this only once). When driving in a tunnel I can hear the sound's echo from the tunnel wall.

To sum up, this sound really annoys me when driving in the city. I could swear I didn't notice it while testing the car.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same? Is this normal for the Mirage's CVT? Are you supposed to hear anything at all (apart from the sonorous motor sound)?

I apologize for my bumpy English and thank you all in advance for your responses.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your english is fine... I don't have a CVT so I can't help you.

Welcome, though, and hope you get an answer soon.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    My Space Star 5 gear had some high noise from the transmission, too, in the first days. But after 4000 kilometers there is no noise from the transmission anymore. The car rolls better and fuel consumption is lower.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Hello GermanDriver!

I've only driven the CVT 1.2L for a short distance (under 20 km) but didn't notice any unusual transmission sounds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Drive another CVT at the dealership. If yours sounds different then show the service writer and get a warranty claim established. If it sounds the same you are probably OK.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-16-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ that sounds like the best bet.