Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage aftermarket rear anti-roll/stabilizer/sway bar, chassis braces! Ultra Racing

is there no linkage that connect the swaybar to body/chasis? whether the swaybar only mount on the torsion beam suspension?
    Right - the bar stiffens the existing torsion beam, so it's mounted directly to it and not tied in to the chassis.

I put a similar 19mm rear bar on a late 1970's MK1 VW Rabbit/Golf with a similar torsion beam like the Mirage, and it made a very big difference in reduced body roll. The car felt like a go kart. But the ride suffered a bit over uneven bumps (no difference over bumps that are hit by both rear wheels at the same time).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Is there a big improvement in the car now with the rear anti roll bar?

let me drive few more days.will get back.

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Right - the bar stiffens the existing torsion beam, so it's mounted directly to it and not tied in to the chassis.

I put a similar 19mm rear bar on a late 1970's MK1 VW Rabbit/Golf with a similar torsion beam like the Mirage, and it made a very big difference in reduced body roll. The car felt like a go kart. But the ride suffered a bit over uneven bumps (no difference over bumps that are hit by both rear wheels at the same time).
    thanks for the reply..

i'm curious about the design because usually on the front swaybar they always had connection to the chassis, so the body will always level with the suspension... hehe

since its relative small and light car and yes, its basically stiffen the torsion beam. i think its still gonna work

is there anyone had pic of front stock/oem mirage swaybar?

thanks so much

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Can anyone please explain to me the purpose of each of the aftermarket bar? I've been googling around but most of the answers seems very technical & I don't seem to understand.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    A strut bar is to stiffen your chassis. it attaches directly onto the chassis.

An anti roll bar or sway bar is just as the name suggests. It limits the body roll by tying the suspension together (If not mistaken)

A roll cage (off topic here lol) is fitted normally in the car to prevent the car from crumbling in the event the car rolls over (turtle). It also works to stiffen the chassis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The braces and tower bars really just stiffen the chassis. This reduces chassis flexing when you're going around corners which keeps the contact patch (the part of the tire that touches the road) more even and larger so you get more traction. To be honest, I think the 'rear lower bar' is not necessary. I'm not sure how much ultra racing does testing before developing products, but I can't really see that part of the chassis flexing enough to make a difference. Some of the others might not be all that beneficial either, testing would need to be done to see if there is actual movement. I did this with an older car I had, and noticed that a rear strut bar would have been completely useless (link).

The anti-roll bar does as Polkijul said. Each tire has its own spring, but an anti-roll bar basically is a spring between the two tires (fronts and/or backs). It resists body roll in corners which keeps the car more level and again keeps the contact patch of the tire larger and more even which increases traction. It also reduces the amount of momentum that the body has when it transitions from rolling back and forth. The downside is that if one tire goes over a bump it has a tendancy to lift the other side since there is a spring pushing the other side up now. If you're on real flat roads, no problem. If you have a bumpy ride it'll be more bumpy with an anti-roll bar. If both tires hit a bump its the same because the anti-roll bar only is used if one wheel is higher/lower than the other. This is probably by far the best bang for your buck handling item to get IMO.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-07-2016)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Oic. Thanks a lot. Finally I'm able to understand. May I know why is it there is only a rear anti roll bar or sway bar? Doesn't the front tyres causing body roll as well.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    There is anti roll bars for both front and rear. But beware as anti roll bars can actually work against you and reduce available traction as your suspension is no longer totally 'live' but controlled by the opposite wheel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    do you think australian front swaybar could fit on indonesian mirage?
    or is malaysian mirage had front swaybar as well?

yupp agreed run without swaybar could improve traction and ride comfort on bumpy or light off road surface... since every wheel could do independent movement.. *except the rear torsionbeam since it is basically a large swaybar*

a more stiffen rear suspension could induce oversteer characteristic in your car... since all fwd cars have understeer characteristics, i thought its good idea to make more stiffen my rear suspension by adding rear swaybar..... so it could cornering better.... of course wrong calculation could end up a terrible accident..

thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I am sure the Australian sway bar would fit an Indonesian Mirage. I don't think Mirages from Malaysia have a front sway bar.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)