Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wreckers

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wreckers

Ive read that some people are getting parts from wrecked mirages at yards but I cant seem to figure out how people find the stuff. Any leads on pages to find these parts. I especially need a radiator for a manual mirage. Im about to just buy an automatic one and plug off the lines at the bottom but Id rather have an original without the 350 dollar price tag. Im also looking for both passenger doors in silver. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pick N Pull lets you check their inventory. No current-generation Mirages at any of their lots right now.

I did see this on eBay. 13469 Fits 2014 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Radiator 1.2 L3. $112, free shipping in the US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Rkt Ship (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only rads I've been able to find aftermarket are auto ones that have the nipple for the trans cooler. I could probably run a hose into itself but I was trying not too. Thanks for the info.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think you would have to go to one or at least give them a call. They do have a network for part sharing and should be able to locate the part for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    You aren't going to find many late model cars like the Mirage at your local Pick-and-Pull. P&P-type yards tend to cater to people who have much older cars. Those cars can be purchased very cheaply, and the parts, in turn, can be sold cheaply as well. But late model cars cost more to buy, and they cost more to buy parts from. Try here:

http://www.car-part.com/

Don't expect to pay P&P prices for late model car parts...ain't gonna happen. I just replaced the right rear door on mine, and it cost me $500.

Fortunately, I caught a break and they first sent me the LEFT rear door by mistake. They sent along the right one, but couldn't figure out a way to pick up the door they originally sent. So I get to keep it. Kind of a two-for-one!
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-18-2016 at 08:50 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    eBay then?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    eBay then?
    For bits and pieces, yes. There are steering wheels, hubcaps, radios, etc, on Ebay. But it's hard to find doors, hoods, or major assemblies there, should you need them. These cars are quite new in the States, and though they sell well by Mitsubishi standards they just aren't as common as an Accord or Corolla.

I got lucky and found a door in the right color a 'mere' 135 miles from me. But it wasn't cheap...and I wasn't expecting it to be.

Prices on parts for late model cars are essentially dictated by what insurance companies are willing to pay for those parts. If you read some descriptions of parts on carpart.com, you will see the term 'insurance quality' being used to describe some parts. Replacing a door on a '15 Acura with a used door off of a wrecked one is much more cost-effective than paying to have body work done (or buying new parts from Acura), so insurance companies are willing to pay pretty good money for late model stuff. You, as a private party, have to match those prices. Otherwise, the wrecker is simply throwing money away by selling to you for half of what State Farm would pay.

Older cars with the same kind of damage, on the other hand, are simply totaled out by insurance companies. So the parts are cheaper because nobody is competing for them.

It's odd...insurance companies are the main consumers of used late model car parts and the major suppliers of older model car parts.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-18-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    The only rads I've been able to find aftermarket are auto ones that have the nipple for the trans cooler. I could probably run a hose into itself but I was trying not too. Thanks for the info.
    You can use an automatic radiator in a manual car, but not vice-versa. Aftermarket manufacturers realize this, so all radiators they make are for automatics.

No big deal. You simply don't use the trans cooler fittings. No need to plug them or run any hoses. The trans cooler portion of the radiator will simply sit empty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You can use an automatic radiator in a manual car, but not vice-versa. Aftermarket manufacturers realize this, so all radiators they make are for automatics.

No big deal. You simply don't use the trans cooler fittings. No need to plug them or run any hoses. The trans cooler portion of the radiator will simply sit empty.
    Use it as oil cooler if you live in hot climate and drive in gridlock or long distance

PS I meant to eBay the extra door you got

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ditto on car-part.com. Great site.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)