Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi's low-tech direction

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    the only way to clean the ports is to remove the intake manifold,on a vehicle with direct injection

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    the only way to clean the ports is to remove the intake manifold,on a vehicle with direct injection

Unless you run water injection. I had a 1989 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo that I installed water injection on. The car had right at 200,000 miles when I installed it. About a year later I pulled the intake manifold to find everything nice, shiny, and spotless. As a side effect of steam cleaning the combustion chamber and exhaust, it also slows the combustion process which acts like running higher octane fuel.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Unless you run water injection. I had a 1989 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo that I installed water injection on. The car had right at 200,000 miles when I installed it. About a year later I pulled the intake manifold to find everything nice, shiny, and spotless. As a side effect of steam cleaning the combustion chamber and exhaust, it also slows the combustion process which acts like running higher octane fuel.
    Everything under the intake manifold should be clean on any regular fuel injected vehicle. The Fuel injectors are in the intake manifold, and fuel is a very good solvent.

Direct injection, like they are talking about here, moves the injectors from the intake manifold directly to the combustion chamber. The result is the intake valves are no longer cleaned by the fuel like they are on an ordinary fuel injected engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    People have tried the water/methanol injection on the direct injection cars,with mixed results,not getting the results you got on your sunbird,

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    People have tried the water/methanol injection on the direct injection cars,with mixed results,not getting the results you got on your sunbird,

I've seen the same thing happen with regular multiport vehicles as well. Water injection is something that is not easy to just throw on a vehicle and it work great(LOTS of variables). I want to put water injection on my Mirage to see if I can improve on the fuel economy.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The Yaris has been using direct injection for years. I haven't hears of any issues. I believe they just have a 5th injector upstream in the intake, and it only fires here and there.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had a MINI with DI, what a maintenance headache, it required (costly) media blasting at regular intervals, booo! The Mirage is a strong argument for good old multiport FI. Though I think the 'Toyota' solution, mentioned by Daox, is quite helpful for the DI problem of gunked-to-hell valves.

Big fan here of the low tech approach in our cars, best part is - it works! Works quite well.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you sure the yaris is direct injection,maybe in japan but not in north america

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not sure about the Yaris, I do know that the Scion FR-S/(Subaru BRZ) have the 'upsteam' injection nozzle that aids in inhibiting gunk build up on the DI engine.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know about the frs being di and port injection,I guy at work has one that he he added a turbo kit,he was having issues with trying to get the car tuned