Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter / snow tires for the 2014 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that's a steal right there on both wheels and tires!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Winter is almost done and my pireĺli snow control serie 3 went fine. Steel rims were oem 14" and tire size 165 65. I just had 1 close call last week when i wobbled a bit on the snowy freeway. I was just speeding a bit faster than normal. Good thing i recovered.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you didn't lose control of your baby !!! Lol
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes thanks it would had been a disaster. Winter driving is sometimes unpredictable. Slowing down is the best defense.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My General Altimax Artic's 175-65-14 (on 2003 civic hybrid wheels) did great, even though I still have stock EX enasaves on the back, you have to pretty much drive super low like with the enasaves, the artic's allow me to make it up snow covered hills at low speeds where the enasaves would have me sliding backwards half ways up the hill (very steep hills here).

quick video of driving on a flat road then turning onto a up hill, one of the steeper hills in my town. As I got to the top the car started to pull so I counter steered, I turned on the doom light to help you guys see, this is with the snow tires!I down shifted into 1st closer to the top and was full throttle while the computer limited throttle and traction control kicked in. Without the snow tires I would have never made it up the hill, my jeep makes it at about the same speed, a little faster with all terrain on the rear and mud/snow tires on the front (Not dedicated snow tires) in 4 wheel high, it stays straight and doesn't require counter steering in 4wd but going down the same hill the Jeep is a scary slide down the hill and the Mirage is a foot vibrator as the abs lets you slowly go down the hill in a more controlled manner.
    Last edited by alex16; 03-08-2015 at 06:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a Driver for a living driving bus and that's the best defense is slowing down when your in dought

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just FYI.

I put Nokian WRG3 4 season tires on my mirage. They are kind of all seasons that actually work in snow. They come in 175/65 r14 so close enough. They worked really well for me traveling the Coquihalla (snowy mountain pass). However my fuel economy has taken a big hit.

I used to get 4.4l/100 reliably on highway. Now I fight to get 5%.

Just hope everyone else gets better results with their snow tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you recalculate in the difference in circumference, I forget how much it is but it throws your trip meter and your miles off due to the increased tire size.

Its hard to say the results of snow tires are a lot worst because the cold affects mileage more than the tire size on day to day trips. For you in the summer running those tires vs stock tires (including the inaccurate mileage correction) you might see a noticeable difference
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I would agree with you Alex.. Except..

For circumference is 2.3% different. Cold, wet, rainy conditions make a huge difference as I was hard pressed to average 6.5l/100km (cruise control @95km/h no braking, 50km straight stretch, mostly flat no hills).

5l/100 is same stretch of freeway. Dry. 24C. Same conditions.

Also.. Made sure tires were properly inflated. No passengers. No cargo. Fresh air filter and new synthetic oil. Have 1400km road trip coming up and will watch carefully. However I'm not expecting things to get better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What do you guys think of 185/60/14 tires on mirage i currently have 175/65/14 but i have a good deal for 4 185/60/14 for the summer tires.Will they fit the good or bad.Thanks