Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Mirage Success Surprising Even to Mitsubishi

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The used car market here is mostly 150k plus cars for thousands of $, with potentially imminent multi thousand dollar repairs. For those who have the financial means but aren't interested in more than basic transportation, although very nicley optioned, the Mirage beats them all. The warranty and exceptional fuel mileage are just icing on the cake, wih the mileage potential being a prime decision influence for me.

Mitsubishi has been around this game for a long time and I felt that a purchase was the best way for me to show them that I appreciated their willingness to bring this car to the US market.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-26-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My buddy was talking about how much he loves my car.

Its basic simple transport. I dont feel bad hauling stuff inaide with this car either. Im not worried about dents or scratches. Ill be keeping this car till its literally useless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  94.6 KBA Great Review!!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  48.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  65.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  39.2 KB
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Common sense, reliable, practical car. Like the VW Bug, old Chrysler import Colt/Champ, etc.
    In the comments section of one of these articles, somebody figured out the price of the Mirage with 50 years of inflation taken away. In other words, the Mirage's '1965 price'.

It came out to something like $1722 in 1965 dollars. There was only ONE car that cost less than $1722 dollars new in 1965...the VW Beetle. It was around $1563.

Comparing the Mirage to the original 'people's car' is spot-on.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 06-26-2015 at 07:30 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

deleted user (07-19-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw a late model Ford Taurus today. I had to look at the back of the car to see what it was, because it was G-I-N-O-R-M-O-U-S!

The new Taurus, a car which used to be a mid-sized family sedan, is now 17 feet long...about the same length as a 1990 Lincoln Continental.

It typically has 288 horsepower...TWICE as much as that same 1990 Continental, which had a 140 hp V6. Or, you can pay an extra $1000 and get 240 horsepower...for some reason. When did opting for the 'small motor' start costing EXTRA?

And it weighs 3,917 pounds...nearly 300 pounds more than the Lincoln.

WTF happened to cars? Why are the all giant, heavy, obnoxious, $40,000 road-pigs nowadays?? Yep...I love my Mirage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "WTF happened to cars? Why are the all giant, heavy, obnoxious, $40,000 road-pigs nowadays?? Yep...I love my Mirage."

Because it's what the people driving cars in this country seem to think they deserve. Same reason people drive huge luxury SUVs as commuter cars. Power, status, security. Its also seems like advertising "more horsepower than xxxxx" was a tangible way for manufacturers to show their car was "better" than the competition, and over the years that sort of stuck with consumers.

It really amazes me that people think that a 10ish second 0-60 vehicle like the Mirage is "dangerously slow" I see a whole lot of 80's and 90's cars that fall into that category still driving around... I mean here in Colorado, old Subaru's are ubiquitous. I don't hear anyone complaining that there are so many dangerously slow 90's cars driving around. People have short memories. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to db1980 For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-26-2015),debburyl (06-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The sad part is that EVERY major manufacturer makes a car like the Mirage. VW makes the Up!. Ford makes the (damned adorable) Ka. Nissan makes the Micra. Tell me you wouldn't buy one of these?

Name:  fordka.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  14.8 KB

They just won't sell those cars here because, as you say, the mentality of Americans is to drive a 17-foot, 4000 pound, 300 horsepower, $40,000 land yacht.

Auto writers are always moaning about how we don't get the kinds of cars that Europe and Japan get. But when one does come over, like the Mirage, those same writers EVISCERATE IT because it isn't 'American' enough. It's ridiculous. It still amazes me that the Mirage has survived that hateful and near-universal criticism...and thrived. Here is a perfect example of a review of a car that American auto writers claim to want here, but would be the first to b!tch about were it to actually be on sale Stateside:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Hopefully, the success of the Mirage will make other manufacturers reconsider the 'bigger/faster/heavier is better' mentality.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 06-26-2015 at 12:27 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (06-29-2015),debburyl (06-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then The White House says we need to make More Fuel efficient cars?????????? But every commeral is How Fast!!! Their Car can Go!!!! The All New Restyled Camery!!!! A Race car?? Family car? Then Nisan is the same way showing a woman going for the ride of her life!!!! And they show a race car!!!! Is that A Gas saver? Ad? The sad truth is it promotes higher speeding on the roads we all travel on. And with Gas prices as high as they are we need to have cars that Save gas !!! Not Blow it out the tail pipe!!!! Every day I get cut off by some driver trying to jump ahead of me Just to be Frist!!! People drive Crazy!! We had a guy in his Hot Honda Accord trying to Go As Fast as he could Go,,, get on to the freeway lost control of the car hit the concert wall flipped the car off the over pass and burst in to flames!!! Crazy! And this is what the new cars are promoteing power!! More torce!! I love my Mirage!!!
    Last edited by debburyl; 06-26-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (06-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The sad part is that EVERY major manufacturer makes a car like the Mirage. VW makes the Up!. Ford makes the (damned adorable) Ka. Nissan makes the Micra. Tell me you wouldn't buy one of these?

Name:  fordka.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  14.8 KB

They just won't sell those cars here because, as you say, the mentality of Americans is to drive a 17-foot, 4000 pound, 300 horsepower, $40,000 land yacht.

Auto writers are always moaning about how we don't get the kinds of cars that Europe and Japan get. But when one does come over, like the Mirage, those same writers EVISCERATE IT because it isn't 'American' enough. It's ridiculous. It still amazes me that the Mirage has survived that hateful and near-universal criticism...and thrived. Here is a perfect example of a review of a car that American auto writers claim to want here, but would be the first to b!tch about were it to actually be on sale Stateside:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Hopefully, the success of the Mirage will make other manufacturers reconsider the 'bigger/faster/heavier is better' mentality.
    I agree...See how other websites belitle the Mirage...

"On the EPA’s list of small cars, the new 2 ranks third overall behind the untouchable Toyota Prius C hybrid (53/46 mpg) and the miserable Mitsubishi Mirage (37/44 mpg with the CVT). The miniscule Scion iQ (36/37 mpg) beats the 2 in the city. Among teeny stick-shifts, the Mirage (34/42 mpg) trumps the Mazda in the city, and 1.0-liter three-cylinder Ford Fiesta SFE (31/43 mpg) beats it by 1 mpg on the highway."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/skyacti...-the-car-isnt/

Maybe there is a financial incentive to put down the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Then The White House says we need to make More Fuel efficient cars?????????? But every commeral is How Fast!!! Their Car can Go!!!! The All New Restyled Camery!!!! A Race car?? Family car? Then Nisan is the same way showing a woman going for the ride of her life!!!! And they show a race car!!!! Is that A Gas saver? Ad? The sad truth is it promotes higher speeding on the roads we all travel on. And with Gas prices as high as they are we need to have cars that Save gas !!! Not Blow it out the tail pipe!!!! Every day I get cut off by some driver trying to jump ahead of me Just to be Frist!!! People drive Crazy!! We had a guy in his Hot Honda Accord trying to Go As Fast as he could Go,,, get on to the freeway lost control of the car hit the concert wall flipped the car off the over pass and burst in to flames!!! Crazy! And this is what the new cars are promoteing power!! More torce!! I love my Mirage!!!
    I ave shared similar views...Some of us may be old enough to remember the cars of the 1980's ---- Cars showed speed of up to 85mph, and maybe actually came out with devices that limit speed ---- How did this Change?