Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quick easy and affordable rear spring upgrade

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm leaning to the VeeDub springs. I occasionally tow a small trailer and I also have an aluminum cargo rack rated for 500lbs. I might put 150lbs. on it but no more. In any case my Mirage squats below level using either and I don't like that.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm leaning to the VeeDub springs. I occasionally tow a small trailer and I also have an aluminum cargo rack rated for 500lbs. I might put 150lbs. on it but no more. In any case my Mirage squats below level using either and I don't like that.
    I just took home 1/4 yard of traffic bond in my trailer (half a normal skid steer bucket). That doesn't sound like much but for the Mirage to manage on a trailer, it's not trivial either. I wouldn't have wanted to try that without the VW Beetle (Moog) springs. I've been really happy with them. The only thing I would be careful about is backing over kerbs. If you have to reverse up a suburban kerb daily, say, to get into your driveway, I'd be mindful that lifting the rear affects the geometry of the trailing arm becoming pointed more steeply downward, getting "tripped" forward when trying to mount a significant obstacle. The car will still do it, but it may be harder on bushings and wheel bearings.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (12-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I towed my Burgman 400 (weight about 550lbs wet) on a converted camper trailer, (est. weight about 350 lbs), with another 250-300 lbs of stuff onboard and all was fine except for the squat. I estimate a 75 lb. tongue weight which is pretty moderate IMO so the VeeDub springs sound perfect. Thanks for the heads up about reversing.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

bzacon (10-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did some quick napkin math and yeah, we were both pulling more than half the mirage's weight and it wasn't really a problem. I really need to get my trailer to a scale; I know it's something ridiculous in the mid-hundreds of pounds despite being just large enough to carry 1 moped.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yet there's the 140lb. Northern Tool aluminum trailer. That trailer would give us about 1000lbs. of cargo. So sweet.
    No Northern Tool anywhere near me, sadly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey bzacon, what size tire are you running?
    2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How did this end up for you long term? Did you need to replace the spring rubbers or were you able to squish the factory ones in with the Moog springs? @bzacon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsANebraska View Post
    How did this end up for you long term? Did you need to replace the spring rubbers or were you able to squish the factory ones in with the Moog springs? @bzacon
    Hello WhatsANebraska and welcome to the forum. Be sure to tell us about yourself and your Mirage.

Hopefully bzacon sees this - they haven't logged on since June 30th.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there! I totally understand. I just replaced my springs today with exactly the same parts bzacon had purchased and rolled the dice on trying it with the factory rubbers. It seems to be working great so far, we'll put some miles on it this weekend to confirm.

Thanks for the welcome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Thanks to BecauseRaceCar for figuring this out.

I bought a set of 2003 Beetle springs with the same color codes as on here for $48 shipped. I installed one side at a time though. It was very easy to install.

I will say these made a big difference in the way the rear leans. The rear feels more planted, and the car isn't near as tippy feeling. I ran a controlled test with the stock springs and I will do the same with these when I get a minute, and will post them here.

Before

After

Side by Side

Edit: I decided to finish my test. Below are my results. I took a circle exit with my stock springs with cruise set at 35 mph (first pic) and the same exit with the Beetle springs set at 35 mph (second pic). I know this isn't scientific date by any means, but the clinometer on my phone showed about 7 degrees less lean with the new springs. Good enough for me.
    Did it increase the cars payload when you put the vw springs on it