Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick easy and affordable rear spring upgrade

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Truezydale;77172]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post

Can you please let me know where you purchased these and/or the model number of the set you ordered? Thanks
    PM sent with 3 different listings.

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I installed a set of Beetle springs and took them out because they were too long. The shock absorbers were fully extended.

The coil diameter at the spring seats was the correct size. I thought the wire gauge was a good choice for the Mirage, and offered good support for the weight of the car.

I fully compressed the springs hoping to reduce their length, but this had no effect as the springs returned to their original length.

The stock Beetle springs are simply too long. Beetle lowering springs would be a better choice.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-09-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also did the beetle rear spring swap. I found a pair on ebay with the same color codes from a 1999 for $50 shipped. They look nearly the same as the stock 2018 springs but are definitely stiffer. I was able to yank out the factory springs by hand but I had to crank down the beetle springs a little with a ratchet strap to get them in.
    The ride is much improved and doesn't bob around after crossing bridges on the interstate. I changed the springs so the car can better handle my utility trailer. Also the factory springs would bottom out over bumps with four people in the car. It does ride higher unloaded like others have posted. The only time I was able to make a shock top out was when I took a right turn at an intersection fairly fast and the right rear tire dropped into a drainage inlet.
    Before and after pics:
    Name:  car.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  84.0 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I actually like the 2014 oem springs. The soft suspension feels nice and takes bumps and small pot holes well IMO. The bodyroll I hardly notice to be honest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I absolutely love the color and it sits just right to me. If you don't mind me asking. What are the specifications and price of the hitch and trailer? It looks to be a great setup for around town hauling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  91.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  80.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  82.5 KB

The trailer was on sale a couple of weeks ago. The hitch, drawbar, and wiring harness are from etrailer.com. For heavy loads or interstate trips I would use my Journey. The gas mileage at 60mph is almost cut in half. Definitely lay the ramp forward when empty.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mende21 For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (06-27-2019),bzacon (07-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just placed an order for moog kit for 2003 beetle. Thanks for all the info, will update when installed. I haul a lot more weight day to day than most mirage owners so I'm hoping this will level things out a bit and keep me off the bump stops day to day.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-07-01-17-19-06.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  89.3 KB
    Name:  KIMG1771.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  101.7 KB
    Extreme example for your amusement^
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Just placed an order for moog kit for 2003 beetle. Thanks for all the info, will update when installed. I haul a lot more weight day to day than most mirage owners so I'm hoping this will level things out a bit and keep me off the bump stops day to day.
    Wow that's a great price. And swapping springs is easy.

Here's my advice for swapping springs. If you care, measure the height of the body at whatever point you choose and use this for comparison later. It's good to know before and after. Use the bumper or the fender as your reference.

Lift the rear of the car, but not enough to lift the wheels. Disconnect the shock absorber (damper) at the axle.

Lift the body a little more, then reach in and separate the brake line bracket at the body inside the wheel well. Otherwise, the axle winds up hanging from the brake lines, and you really don't want this. This might be easier to see with the tire removed, but having the tires on helps position the axle.

Once these two restrictions are free, pay attention to how the springs are oriented on their saddles as it can interfere with a sway bar. Continue to lift the rear of the car until the springs fall out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bzacon (07-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really hope the springs are the correct length. I know that some parts are interchangeable with the Jettas and most if not all of the Jetta factory specified springs are too long. If these are or are not the same color code as what I posted when I first did the swap please let us know since it is a bit of a gamble with amazon. Please measure them as well. I am still running these myself as it is hard to beat the performance/ cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

bzacon (07-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20190711_012255.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  20190711_010509.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  83.9 KB

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US