Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage - 20,000 miles later

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage - 20,000 miles later

Hi All,

Last year I bought a 2014 Mirage ES, CVT. Previously, I drove a 2013 Nissan Sentra SV for 11 months. The Sentra was comfortable and provided good gas mileage. I got about 37 MPG, mostly driving at 40-60 mph back-roads with red lights approximately every 3 miles (averaging here stop 6-7 times, both early morning and night time). My commute is 22 miles each way.

I had heard and read about the Mirage in multiple places, with particular interest in its fuel economy. My wife and I decided to take a look at it and test drive it. I did not mind much for looks or acceleration/performance so I went ahead with the purchase with little support from my wife (all major financial decisions are jointly made), the car appeared small and we had 2 little ones.

The Mirage fuel economy has been as follows: a) For driving to work (as described above) the car get 41-42 MPG in cold weather and 47-48 MPG in warm weather. I have taken the car to a few trips 1) To Ann Arbor, MI in Sept 2014, I drove (by myself) most of the way 70 mph and got 42-43 MPG, on the way back drove 75-80 mph and got 40 MPG; and 2) similarly, I drove to Kansas Dec 2014 round trip with wife, 2 kids, luggage (total about 450-475 lb) at 70 mph and got 42 MPG, on the way back (another 50 pounds or so of extra stuff) I drove faster 80 mph and got 37-38 MPG. I find the trip computer MPG to be near actual values obtained at the pump, some of the members here say 2-4%. The most fuel I have ever put is 8 gallons.

Surprises with the Mirage: First and foremost, we have no issues of space our 2 kids (car seat and booster) fit just fine, and their cousin fit just fine between them - The Mirage flat 2nd row allows for good use of space. Moreover, we are expecting a third child and I have been able to manage to fit a 3rd car seat. This, however, may not be a good idea because it is somewhat labor intensive. I have not had the time yet, but I should do it again and post the picture in car-seat.org.

Problems with the Mirage: Mechanical, I had one issue with the Mirage engine light, not sure what it was but it was taken care off by the dealer. The Bluetooth work until I changed phones. I have a Samsung cell phone and the Mirage doesn't take it. I have read the manual and followed the instructions without success. Mitsubishi has a disclaimer that not all phones are compatible - Unfortunately, this was not discussed and I never brought up the issue at the time we purchased the car. I have not approach the Dealer or Mitsubishi Corp about this, but this is the only issue with the Mirage. Had I known this, I would have bought the Mirage DE.

So far, I find Mitsubishi to be reasonable with their maintenance cost: complementary 7,500 mile oil change; 15,000 mile oil change and tire rotation was just over $70. I will have to do the 22,500 mile check soon. Has any of you done a 30,000 mile maintenance at a Mitsubishi Dealer yet? If so, how much did it cost?

I am sure some of you would agree that the Mirage is the best value out there. Having said that, the 2016 Mazda-2 and the 2016 Toyota Yaris will likely come close (MPG wise) to the Mirage, but the Mirage will likely keep a financial edge (~ 2-3k lower $)

I look forward to be more active in this site.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cortisol For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try to equip a Yaris like a ES mirage it's about $18k, there is no 2016 Mazda 2 in the USA, they put a end to it

Nice review! Sad the phone isn't comparable, there is always the option of a different phone though my iPhone 6 works great but I know android users are faithful to android lol
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It was listed in fueleconomy.gov, I just saw a few sites stating the Mazda-2 will be sold only in Puerto Rico. I will try to reach the dealer and then Mitsubishi, if it doesn't work then I would ask Mitusbishi to provide me a list of cell phones that work. Thanks !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
    Hi All,

Problems with the Mirage: Mechanical, I had one issue with the Mirage engine light, not sure what it was but it was taken care off by the dealer. The Bluetooth work until I changed phones. I have a Samsung cell phone and the Mirage doesn't take it. I have read the manual and followed the instructions without success. Mitsubishi has a disclaimer that not all phones are compatible - Unfortunately, this was not discussed and I never brought up the issue at the time we purchased the car. I have not approach the Dealer or Mitsubishi Corp about this, but this is the only issue with the Mirage. Had I known this, I would have bought the Mirage DE.
    I find this a bit odd. Is this a new phone? They put that disclaimer on so people don't try to use outdated phones with old (incomplete) bluetooth standards and then call it a problem with the car. The car and phone handshake using industry-wide bluetooth standards, so I would be surprised if a Samsung phone that is not several years old would be incompatible. I'm not saying there isnt a problem or you are doing something wrong, but I wouldn't give up on it quite yet. Samsung is a big name manufacturer and I would imagine there would be a lot of complaints of this from other owners if there was a widespread issue. Have you tried completely clearing the paired devices in the phone and stereo?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have a '15 ES and a Samsung Galaxy S2, and the Bluetooth works great. My carrier is T-Mobile.

If your phone is this age or older, have you tried downloading the latest version of the cellphone software for your phone from Samsung?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

cortisol (07-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 2015 ES with Samsung Galaxy S5 with no issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.2 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyle For This Useful Post:

cortisol (06-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by db1980 View Post
    I find this a bit odd. Is this a new phone? They put that disclaimer on so people don't try to use outdated phones with old (incomplete) bluetooth standards and then call it a problem with the car. The car and phone handshake using industry-wide bluetooth standards, so I would be surprised if a Samsung phone that is not several years old would be incompatible. I'm not saying there isnt a problem or you are doing something wrong, but I wouldn't give up on it quite yet. Samsung is a big name manufacturer and I would imagine there would be a lot of complaints of this from other owners if there was a widespread issue. Have you tried completely clearing the paired devices in the phone and stereo?
    Took it to the dealer last Friday they fixed it in 3 minutes!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Took it to the dealer last Friday they fixed it in 3 minutes!!
    Woohoo!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Last year I bought a 2014 Mirage ES, CVT. Previously, I drove a 2013 Nissan Sentra SV for 11 months. The Sentra was comfortable and provided good gas mileage. I got about 37 MPG, mostly driving at 40-60 mph back-roads with red lights approximately every 3 miles (averaging here stop 6-7 times, both early morning and night time). My commute is 22 miles each way.

I had heard and read about the Mirage in multiple places, with particular interest in its fuel economy. My wife and I decided to take a look at it and test drive it. I did not mind much for looks or acceleration/performance so I went ahead with the purchase with little support from my wife (all major financial decisions are jointly made), the car appeared small and we had 2 little ones.

The Mirage fuel economy has been as follows: a) For driving to work (as described above) the car get 41-42 MPG in cold weather and 47-48 MPG in warm weather. I have taken the car to a few trips 1) To Ann Arbor, MI in Sept 2014, I drove (by myself) most of the way 70 mph and got 42-43 MPG, on the way back drove 75-80 mph and got 40 MPG; and 2) similarly, I drove to Kansas Dec 2014 round trip with wife, 2 kids, luggage (total about 450-475 lb) at 70 mph and got 42 MPG, on the way back (another 50 pounds or so of extra stuff) I drove faster 80 mph and got 37-38 MPG. I find the trip computer MPG to be near actual values obtained at the pump, some of the members here say 2-4%. The most fuel I have ever put is 8 gallons.

Surprises with the Mirage: First and foremost, we have no issues of space our 2 kids (car seat and booster) fit just fine, and their cousin fit just fine between them - The Mirage flat 2nd row allows for good use of space. Moreover, we are expecting a third child and I have been able to manage to fit a 3rd car seat. This, however, may not be a good idea because it is somewhat labor intensive. I have not had the time yet, but I should do it again and post the picture in car-seat.org.

So far, I find Mitsubishi to be reasonable with their maintenance cost: complementary 7,500 mile oil change; 15,000 mile oil change and tire rotation was just over $70. I will have to do the 22,500 mile check soon. Has any of you done a 30,000 mile maintenance at a Mitsubishi Dealer yet? If so, how much did it cost?

I am sure some of you would agree that the Mirage is the best value out there. Having said that, the 2016 Mazda-2 and the 2016 Toyota Yaris will likely come close (MPG wise) to the Mirage, but the Mirage will likely keep a financial edge (~ 2-3k lower $)

I look forward to be more active in this site.
    How was the Sentra? Problems? My mirage is manual and I want an auto. Dealers here have crazy deals on versas and sentras.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    How was the Sentra? Problems? My mirage is manual and I want an auto. Dealers here have crazy deals on versas and sentras.
    The Sentra was a nice and comfortable car. I had no problems with it, just to let you know that the MPG indicator miss calculates by about 6-8%!. Did a long trip (all Hwy) computer 36.x vs calculated at the gas pump 33.x. Similar differences were noted on the way back. FYI never got the 39MPG they advertised.

Best,