View Poll Results: Did/do you own a Metro or other 3-cyl car?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup: a Metro (Sprint, Firefly, Swift etc.)

17 41.46%
  • Yup: another type of 3-cylinder car

9 21.95%
  • Nope: Mirage/Space Star is my first 3-pot.

17 41.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Geo Metro roll call: did you own a 3 cyl car before Mirage? (Suzuki, Smart, etc)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow - time flies.

Since starting this thread, I have in fact gotten another one: I now also have a $1000, 2000 Metro 1.0 / 5spd that I've been using as a winter beater (and potentially as a future source of parts for my low-miles Firefly).

Attachment 13974
    (cardboard Kammback has since been replaced by coroplast)

Still watching almost daily for a used Mirage though.
    Wow, that one is all set and ready to go. It doesn't look like a parts car to me.

If the cardboard has been replaced, we'll need to see the coroplast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow - time flies.

Since starting this thread, I have in fact gotten another one: I now also have a $1000, 2000 Metro 1.0 / 5spd that I've been using as a winter beater (and potentially as a future source of parts for my low-miles Firefly).

Attachment 13974
    (cardboard Kammback has since been replaced by coroplast)

Still watching almost daily for a used Mirage though.
    How much mileage do you gain with the kammback

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a mid-90s Geo Metro 4-door Hatchback for a couple of years. I loved it. I got it used, when it was a few years old. The prior owner had put platinum spark plugs in it, an upgrade from whatever was stock when it was manufactured. No matter how I drove it, no matter how heavily I loaded it, it got 55 mpg. But if I turned on the AC, the mpgs would plummet to 49!

I'm a big guy, but still found it roomy. In fact, I once moved a 6-foot-long table inside of it. Unfortunately, driving in an unfamiliar place where a shadow obscured a median with a tall curb, I ran it aground, badly damaging all kinds of things on the underside of it. Despite not looking very damaged from about 6 inches up, it was unrepairable and a total loss.

I've gotten some decent mpgs out of some 4-bangers: a Saturn SL1 sedan I could squeeze 40 out of at times and the Scion XA we got about 13 years ago, which I once got 44mpg out of, and which we traded in on a 2015 Mirage DE...YESTERDAY!

We're still using the gas that the used car dealer put in the Mirage. When we're ready for a fill-up we'll do a proper miles per gallon test. When I look under the hood, at that tiny engine idling, I get a happy feeling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-22-2019),MetroMPG (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I've gotten some decent mpgs out of some 4-bangers: a Saturn SL1 sedan I could squeeze 40 out of at times and the Scion XA we got about 13 years ago, which I once got 44mpg out of, and which we traded in on a 2015 Mirage DE...YESTERDAY!

We're still using the gas that the used car dealer put in the Mirage. When we're ready for a fill-up we'll do a proper miles per gallon test. When I look under the hood, at that tiny engine idling, I get a happy feeling.
    Hello DonkeyPal and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Mirage purchase.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2nd car was a 91 Periwinkle Blue with Pink side stripes 5mt Pontiac Firefly. Could do 70mpg if I tried. That car went through some electrical issues though and caught fire one day (2000w system, 4 15" RF subs). Blew out 4 rear windows.

Later on I got my start in Auto X and Amateur Rally with the coveted Firefly turbo. At the end of that cars life, it had a 2" lift, 12psi turbo making 220hp, full roll cage, and had been gutted with lexan windows, no interior, and weighed in at 1450lb. Top speed was 250km/h with a built racing trans (gearing limited) and did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.

All photos hosted on an old, no longer serviced photo host. I wrecked it at a track day trying to qualify for the next racing class at Mission Raceway. Blew a front tire and took a wall pretty hard. Roll cage worked!

Now own a Mirage, and a Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-22-2019)

^ Wow, on so many points.

coveted Firefly turbo
    Holy grail! I saw a turbo in Vancouver about 5 years ago. Looked like it was being daily driven.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Another welcome to the forum, donkeypal!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    How much mileage do you gain with the kammback
    Whoops - sorry! Just realized I never replied.

It was good for about about a 2% gain @ 88.5 km/h / 55 mph

https://metrompg.com/posts/boat-tail-prototype.htm

I suspect the Mirage would gain less with a similar mod, since the back of the car is better optimized compared to the Metro/Firefly, what with its drag-reducing rear spoiler and tapered roofline.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Darin coming across your hypermiling experimentation is part of what got me into Metros!

While I may have bought a Mirage I don't yet technically own one. It's sitting in Ohio waiting for me.
    43 days until the Red Metro is retired(frame horn in done for, driving with frame brace)

Then I'll retrieve get my black one with possible intent to get collectors plates(Hasn't moved from the barn it's in for a year and a half, first car, little rust, & under 100K miles)

Then in 53 days I'll take delivery and be an actual Mirage driver. If I can't easily average over 50 mpg I just know I'm going to be dissapointed. Hope it will be eco friendly enough to my liking.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2019),MetroMPG (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    If I can't easily average over 50 mpg I just know I'm going to be dissapointed. Hope it will be eco friendly enough to my liking.
    If you enjoy getting good fuel economy out of a Metro I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Mirage. You may have a slight adjustment period to all the modern amenities though.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (03-23-2019),poorman1 (03-22-2019)