Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: fastest speed achieved

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I must agree as I'm in a similar place. Lately, I've slowed down my driving a lot. I used to drive hard & fast.

For a very long time I had at least one speeding ticket on my driving record. Within two weeks of getting my license, I got a speeding ticket (my school was off for a holiday but a local parochial school was not, and I got caught doing 35 in a 20 mph speed zone.) For many years, I would get another speeding ticket around the time that the points of the prior one would come off my record.

One day, a co-worker said a local town would not let him pay his speeding ticket and had to appear in front of their judge. In the courtroom, when he tried to explain that he wanted to pay his fine and be on his way the judge snapped at him, saying 'you are a habitual speeder. One more ticket, and I will suspend your license.' That got my attention because we both needed our driver's license for our jobs. Essentially, no license, no job.

Several other factors contributed. The company put a 'How's My Driving?' phone number on their vehicles. I would get called on if someone else was simply having a bad day and wanted to vent. Side note: I now call those numbers to compliment good drivers.

About that time I enrolled in a SCCA driving school at a nearby race track. That was loads of fun until I got sideways at 75mph. Luckily I straightened things out but a lot of thoughts went through my head at that moment. Sure am glad that happened on a track. It was a very fun and educational experience.

Now I'm a father, and I don't want my family to get hurt, especially over what is essentially a poor decision that could be easily avoided.

I'm tired of impatient jerks on the road and wish aggressive drivers would only see the effects of their behaviors. Most don't because their ego has taken over.

Speeders will eventually get their due rewards. Reckless driving increases the odds of causing an accident. Reckless driving on public roads increases the possibility of hurting others.

Anymore, if I want to drive hard & fast it is best done on a race track away from others who want to get to their destination safely. I'll ask the same courtesy from others: Please feel free to endanger your own life. Just don't endanger me or my family.

I'm sorry to sound so preachy. I really don't mean to sound overbearing with control issues. I still fall victim to those old habits. Inattentive driving is one thing. Aggressive driving is worse.

Be safe out there.
    Very good points to live by...I myself have done many many stupid things... And last week really opened up my eyes going very fast on a highway with no one around. Even though no one was around me, I simply realized that at the speed I was going... Well over 90mph... All it took was one flick of the wheel and I would have been in an ambulance or in a grave... I also thought "what would my family think if they saw me like this" and ever since then I am very very careful how I drive. when I got home I was very distraught over what could have happened to me or somebody else...So I second the motion to be very safe and careful... Again it only takes one second... Just one second for something wrong to happen. I almost hit a deer last week, took my eyes off the road for one second... And bam there's a deer in front of me... I swerved and braked and thankfully didn't hit the tree, the deer, or anything else. So again please do be safe and take my advice and don't be foolish on the road Go on the track and see just how fast you can get up to speed and how scary it can be when your vehicle is pushed to its limits... But do not endanger yourself or others as I have done and take my advice: Be safe.

Last edited by MirageRally; 12-26-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-26-2020)

I've only had my Mirage up to 130kph/80mph!

But I pegged the speedo on my old firebird once, a hair over 150mph(US car)/241kph. Sure glad I didn't get pulled over for that one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I of course like this old thread. I bleeve I read it some time ago. I'm out of town right now not with my computer, but I made a gearing chart.

Seems like 4th hits redline at 106 mph. When shifting to 5th gear at 106 mph both the torque & hp increase at the lower 5th gear rpm. So at least by theory, the car should be able to increase speed somewhat. It would be fun to put the car on a test track and officially determine the top speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I just googled Mirage top speed. Supposedly it's limited to 125mph/200kph! Yikes. That'd be neat to see.

I just found this too lol https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...80-kph-111-mph

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)