Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Coolers, Temperature, Gauges

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Coolers, Temperature, Gauges

Trying to research as much as possible. I want to add a oil temperature gauge to help monitor oil temps as well as coolant on my torque app to see how far I can go with grill blocking in the summer time with my future warm air intake.

I have been seeing VDO M14-1.5 drain plug sending units as a possibility (though I would lose my greddy neo magnet drain plug).

The cons to this is losing the magnetic drain plug.

Pros is it is easy to install/remove.

Not sure how I can add a temperature gauge and pressure gauge while retaining the factory oil pressure warning light. Maybe a lot of T fittings? I've read about people welding taps to their drain pan but I don't want to do this either.

If oil temperatures get too high I might be relocating the filter with a filter cooler to see if that helps, last resort is a oil cooler. I think the oil temperatures will be okay I just want to be safe.

http://www.egauges.com/300-Farenheit...ge-s/23298.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Temp...-/261495372455

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Donut (07-10-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Oil temps shouldn't be a problem. They're kept in check via your coolant. I've never had an issue and I've run a full grill block in summer.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After researching the oem sending unit

Mitsubishi Genuine Factory Part
    Part Number: MN163743

This is the warning light for the dash. I found that this is the same common 1/8 NPT

http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse....&siteid=214581

-I'm just being extra cautious with the rpm my triple turns when racing around, it's much higher than a larger engine and I'm curious, I'll be the test mule haha.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ordered these today ...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  11.0 KB

Oil pressure and temperature. The same set I had in my bug. Vdo always worked well and was cheap. Both are electric 1/8 npt, purchased the sending units as well, all from eBay.

I want to monitor my oil temp and pressure before going wild with a hot air intake and blocking off my engine compartment. Really a coolant temp gauge via ultra or scan gauge is all that is needed, I'm just being extra cautious.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    that's a nice project. Keep us posted. I am in particular interested in the grill block and the effect on the coolant temperature.

What temperature thresholds are you monitoring, i.e., when would you remove some of the block?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the experience I had with my 1999 civic, I had a full grill block during the summer with testing, I was unable to over heat the coolant in my civic, although the underside of the engine compartment was not covered. I did notice a drag from the electric fan and its duty cycle increase significantly to almost always on during highway travel. I removed a small portion that was about dollar bill size directly in front of the radiator that provided enough on the highway to keep the fan from staying on. I never monitored the oil temperature of the civic but for a 1,000 car I didn't really care too much for it. I have torque to monitor the engine ECT sensor, I just want to double check the oil since our 3 cylinders (5MT especially) turn at a much higher rpm (increases oil temperature).

With my Mirage I am going to get a lot more extreme than I ever did with my civic, future goals of a blocked front, covered lower engine compartment and a hot air intake will all reduce warm up time but add to the reduced cooling efficiency. I doubt I will need a oil cooler but its nice to have peace of mind knowing for sure, this will give the rest of us (at least in the northern states) a general idea of how extreme we can go.

Name:  droidx2 11-27-13 052.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  95.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried a few cross and splits for the 1/8NPT but none had enough clearance for the oil temp sending unit.

Going to try my luck with this! Finger crossed haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370788743182...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Name:  $_57 (3).JPG
Views: 1170
Size:  94.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know we dont need it, but I really want to put oil cooler and tranny oil cooler. They look cool...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Old thread, but just wondering if anyone has installed a water temp gauge yet? Hate the idea of cutting a radiator line to insert an adapter but not sure if there's anywhere to install one of the sender units in the clock.
    2017 Mirage ES - Black

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Old thread, but just wondering if anyone has installed a water temp gauge yet? Hate the idea of cutting a radiator line to insert an adapter but not sure if there's anywhere to install one of the sender units in the clock.
    Consider using your existing temperature sensor which can report it's status through your OBD II port. I'm using an OBDLink LX and I can read the coolant temperature and a Whole Lot More. It's paying for itself in fuel economy gains as I use mine to monitor instantaneous fuel consumption.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-13-2018),mohammad (08-19-2021),Wayne (08-12-2018)