Thread: Very LOUD Wind Noise

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Very LOUD Wind Noise

I was driving home the other day, had to get some spring water for drinking. Don't like village treated water lol
    Anyway, as I was gaining speed I got this loud noise from the rear, almost sounded like the rear tire was flat but the car tracked straight and the ride was very smooth, not like you'd expect if you had a flat. I stopped in an unlit pull off area, and checked all my tires and they were fine, nothing out of the ordinary all had air. So I took off again but the noise got louder and louder as I got up to 50 mph and as I went faster, the racket got so loud that I had to slow down to below 50 just to tolerate the noise. I mean it was LOUD as the title states At this point I had no idea what was going on but had to go a couple of miles to where there were street lights and an air hose in case a tire needed it but I definitely had to be able to see if there was anything wrong. Well when I got to town, I pulled over and when I got out I immediately saw that I had let the rear window down on the driver's side. I have no idea how I did this since I've never done it before but I closed the window fully and looked over the tires, underneath the car etc to see if anything was wrong. Nothing. So I took off and voila - the noise was gone. The car ran as normal, nothing amiss. I lowered the rear window again and the noise came right back. It does the same with the rear passenger window as well as both rear windows down. It is loud enough that the car is not drivable over 50 with the rear windows down. I can almost feel the air pushing against the hatchback like there's buffeting and if I can think to do it, I'll try driving with the hatch raised and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that, maybe see if anyone else has noticed this as well - just in case it's something I need to have the dealer look at.

2017 Mirage ES - Black

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Wayne

I wouldn't drive with the hatch raised, there is a good chance you would ruin the Gas shock that helps hold the hatch up. I have done it twice in my VW rabbit and both times ruined the hatches lift shock. now when i haul large stuff i just unhook the shock. just thought i might save ya from having to purchase a new shock. you might not have to , but ya never know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Hi Wayne

I wouldn't drive with the hatch raised, there is a good chance you would ruin the Gas shock that helps hold the hatch up. I have done it twice in my VW rabbit and both times ruined the hatches lift shock. now when i haul large stuff i just unhook the shock. just thought i might save ya from having to purchase a new shock. you might not have to , but ya never know.
    Hey Don,

Thanks for the advice, I won't try it then. Nothing else seems to be wrong otherwise. I guess it's just one of those quirks I'll have to live with. I always keep my windows up anyway, just use the AC pretty much whenever it's hot out - keeps the inside from getting too dusty.

2017 Mirage ES - Black