Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Change LED meter Full colour (instrument cluster)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    Has anyone done this in other colors besides blue? I love blue as much as the next guy but it hurt my eyes even after adjusting the brightness on the last vehicle I did mod on. I'd be interested to see what the interior would look like with other colors.
    I haven't done it in different color, but some of my research in grad school had to do with the human visual system.

Blue is actually the worst possible color you could use for lights in a vehicle at night. Of the primary colors (red, blue, green), our eyes are BY FAR the least sensitive to blue. That means, to be seen with equivalent clarity, a blue light would need to have a significantly higher intensity than any other color. The difference is so significant that there is actually a lot of research into dynamically changing the colors that are displayed on a phone screen in order to minimize blue pixels, and therefore the power envelope required by the entire device.

How this would effect your night vision, I'm not certain, but a logical guess would be that either the high intensity light in your cabin ruins your night vision, or you end up with really bad headaches from your eyes adjusting to the outside light while still getting blasted with high intensity light from within the cabin.

Either of the two other colors (red or green) is a much better choice. Of those two, our eyes are slightly more sensitive to green, so if you want the truly optimal solution that's the one.

P.S. - Just realized that signaling lights on planes and boats are green and red. Go figure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I haven't done it in different color, but some of my research in grad school had to do with the human visual system.

Blue is actually the worst possible color you could use for lights in a vehicle at night. Of the primary colors (red, blue, green), our eyes are BY FAR the least sensitive to blue. That means, to be seen with equivalent clarity, a blue light would need to have a significantly higher intensity than any other color. The difference is so significant that there is actually a lot of research into dynamically changing the colors that are displayed on a phone screen in order to minimize blue pixels, and therefore the power envelope required by the entire device.

How this would effect your night vision, I'm not certain, but a logical guess would be that either the high intensity light in your cabin ruins your night vision, or you end up with really bad headaches from your eyes adjusting to the outside light while still getting blasted with high intensity light from within the cabin.

Either of the two other colors (red or green) is a much better choice. Of those two, our eyes are slightly more sensitive to green, so if you want the truly optimal solution that's the one.

P.S. - Just realized that signaling lights on planes and boats are green and red. Go figure.

That's great info right there. I did dial down the brightness too.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Red lighting preserves night vision. Other colors can wreck it, and it can take 15 minutes before our eyes readjust. Ask any sailor who has spent time at sea on a surface vessel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Bambam234 (07-23-2022),foama (01-16-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

On the other hand the use of blue light might keep sleep away. Which is an advantage when driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)