Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone Mount

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

Phone Mount

I searched for a related thread and the latest discussion I saw was 4 years ago. Asking where the perfect location to mount the phone is such a loaded question, I'm not even going to do it. Phone mounting is not the most critical thing. Because I don't NEED to mount my phone and have it in visible range while "carving the canyons" and "blasting away from traffic lights like John Force." It's not like I'm driving Uber or Lyft (and don't plan to) either.

But I like to run Waze when I'm on a trip further than my commute across town. I use to put a ton of miles on cars, and for some years now, Waze has given me the ability to edit live certain map aspects. Perhaps everyone can do this for all I know. The point being, I use Waze a lot, if nothing else, merely for the waze "street cred / status" (man I'm a nerd). However, my commute is so short, it takes longer to mount the phone than to get to work, so I don't bother with it then. Anywho...

I would like a place where a) the sonofagun won't fall off the window or dash, and b) the mount would have power access. I would love it if there were a stable way to mount to / under the rear view mirror, and sneak power out of the OHC lamp. And to be able to hold the phone in landscape mode. I tend to use landscape mode mostly when I'm using waze. I'm a vendor on another auto website, and have occasionally thought of creating a mount. It would be cool to have a mount that charged wirelessly. Just plop the phone on it and charging starts without the need to plug into the phone. Under the mirror would be out of the way of airbags, easy to see and touch.

Regardless, I'd like to see pictures of your mount or possibly read your ideas / opinions. Thanks MF members!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The couple times I've used my phones GPS in the Mirage I clamped it on the center console on the passenger side between the cupholder and outer edge(no picture taken as it wasn't photogenic). GPS signal was flaky for me that far from a window, but hey, it is right under power and aux at least. Overall not the best spot as it isn't in your normal field of view while driving. Though I couldn't find better.

I clamp it like this in my Metros. Too bad there's no super convenient spot like that in the Mirage, unless of course I overlooked something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Down in the cup holder is bad for my gps signal too. Your door position would have to have a power tap in the door, or a wire running to the lower side of the dash might become a nuisance. Plus, not so easy to see / too far away from the windshield.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I placed a magnetic phone mount on the very top of the infotainment bezel and it sits perfectly in my view and is within range of the charging cable. https://www.amazon.com/FlePow-Univer...a-835019424222
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is that adhesive to stick to the garnish? If so, I'm betting it would leave a permanent mark. I'm such a nerd, I don't want anything permanent remaining behind.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's 3 mm tape, you can rub off the residue with your finger I'm pretty sure. For me it's been the best to use out of all the phone mounts I've found. when I want my phone I just magnetize it to the Mount and when I want to, I just grab it by the end of the phone and it comes off just as easily. I've even gone around corners and it's never fallen off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only other type of Mount I could think of would be a phone suction cup mount or a cup holder mount... Both of those are easily interchangeable and you just have to find a spot for them.

I have a magnetic mount like that in my truck. It hold my old iphone pretty good. Even on rough back roads. I put on in my side by side too. Tried tried mounting one between the radio and temp controls and it fell off within a few days and I've been too lazy to find a different spot.
    The new fancy 2 sided tape is easier to clean off than the crapy foam tape that was commonly to hold those fancy sun glass holders to the dash in the 80's. If it does leaf a mark it's easy to replace or paint it.
    I tried one of those magnet mounts that slide into the vent and it was a pos.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

One of the drivers uses some long mount that clamps to the side of the console, like those cupholder ones. It seems to hold their big ass tablet sized phone well enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)