Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firey crash

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unhappy Firey crash

Was this a Mirage? Tail light looks correct, as does the rear body lines, but I don't see the rear spoiler. Also, what I assume are the factory rims, these are 5 spoke and mine are 7 spoke ( I think ).

My thoughts go out to the woman who died in this crash. She ran off the road and hit a tree. Bystanders tried to get her out, even cutting the seatbelt, but between her being stuck and the heat from the flames, they were unable to help her.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is a Yaris... yikes. Prayers for her family.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInMichigan View Post
    Was this a Mirage? Tail light looks correct, as does the rear body lines, but I don't see the rear spoiler. Also, what I assume are the factory rims, these are 5 spoke and mine are 7 spoke ( I think ).

My thoughts go out to the woman who died in this crash. She ran off the road and hit a tree. Bystanders tried to get her out, even cutting the seatbelt, but between her being stuck and the heat from the flames, they were unable to help her.
    Doesn't look like a Mirage. Looks like 5 lugnuts on that wheel, the Mirage only has 4. Back seat also looks nothing like a Mirage's.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Scary stuff. My thoughts go out to her and her family.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Horrible crash for sure but I agree it's not a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to see that looks like a Nisan AWD
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is no safety mechanism to save you from such an impact... we haven't figured how to control inertia.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its always the transmission fluid that catches fire from what I saw driving tow trucks, This is all my speculation because there are 95% automatics out there on the road.. I just saw most of the car fires I encountered were results of transmission fluid hitting a catalytic converter. I never did see a manual transmission car catch fire, of course this is all just my personal experience and probably false information/speculation.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Its always the transmission fluid that catches fire from what I saw driving tow trucks, This is all my speculation because there are 95% automatics out there on the road.. I just saw most of the car fires I encountered were results of transmission fluid hitting a catalytic converter. I never did see a manual transmission car catch fire, of course this is all just my personal experience and probably false information/speculation.
    Could you clarify for ignorants like me why manual transmissions are less prone to start the fire?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Could you clarify for ignorants like me why manual transmissions are less prone to start the fire?
    Automatic transmissions hold much more fluid than a manual transmission. Also, almost all automatics use remote transmission coolers that are either integrated into the radiator or are separate in front of the radiator. They use metal lines and rubber hoses to pump the fluid from the transmission through the cooler then returning to the transmission. Of course during a accident the likelihood of a transmission line breaking and leaking is very high. Transmission fluid is very hot in a automatic during normal operation (250+ degrees). Let's just say leaking 250+ degree oil onto a 700 degree catalytic convertor pretty much guarantees every body is going to have a bad day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)