Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu might sell its only North American plant (Normal, IL, USA)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Anyone seen updates on this? I did a quick google search but didn't find anything. The union contract was supposed to expire in August.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From what I know the plant is closed and the final day of any operations is Mitsubishis Owners Day. Think that one is on the 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Mitsubishi Australia ended car production here in 2008. There was some talk at that time from uninformed people that Mitsu was leaving Australia all together and would not buy a Mitsu car. Well Mitsubishi is still here and doing ok.

Hope that the USA closure works out at least as good as it did in Australia for Mitsubishi.
    This one saddens me more than the USA and im America. Ralliart was in the heart of Australia.
    Last edited by Clessy; 09-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    GM had 600,000 employees in 1955, now 35,000. Computers build cars now, the days of sabotaged American customers cars, when the UAW didn't get it's way a week before the strike is over. No more customers buying brand new junk and I know that from being the poor slob who had to fix their garbage.

To equate Mitsubishi's decision to sell-close a US plant as the final act in the USA is ludicrous.

Ford closed the truck plant in Norfolk a few years back. Been there since before WW2 and Pop worked there for a short time. Ford's still here and my Fiesta was made in Mexico. Thailand is building a lot of the Honda bikes sold here and so are many others.

What is still manufactured in the USA, by people?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^^^ Not much!

I think if people really cared about how American a car is they wouldn't like to know the toyota camry is one of the most American cars built today.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-11-2019)

Thanks
    The wife's Sorento is made in West Point, Georgia.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Curious myself as to what's going on I found this article: http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150907/NEWS/150909466

The Mitsubishi Motors plant in Normal is slated to close after November but it's still producing the company's most popular model, the Outlander Sports SUV.
    Mitsubishi reported August sales of 8,289, an increase of 22.1 percent from August 2014.
    Up 22% since last year but closing the plant anyway. I'm not an economist or even a very smart person, but pulling the plug on a plant even after being up by 22% from last year sounds like they must have something in the works for the continued distribution to the US. Anything otherwise just sounds silly to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    From what I know the plant is closed and the final day of any operations is Mitsubishis Owners Day. Think that one is on the 26th.

This one saddens me more than the USA and im America. Ralliart was in the heart of Australia.

That's what I heard also...

no buyer for the plant yet

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. has started preparing for the closure of its sole U.S. factory in Illinois after failing to find a buyer for the high-cost auto plant, the Nikkei business daily reported on Saturday in Japan.

The company will notify workers at the end of this month, the newspaper reported, without saying where it obtained the information.
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...nt-report-says

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The exports to Russia for the Outlander Sport decreased and according to Mitsubishi, that is what kept the plant operating. i certainly hope something negotiated and workers can keep their jobs.

Sometimes, I believe the massive Mitsubishi Group (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) views Mitsubishi Motors like a pet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The exports to Russia for the Outlander Sport decreased and according to Mitsubishi, that is what kept the plant operating. i certainly hope something negotiated and workers can keep their jobs.

Sometimes, I believe the massive Mitsubishi Group (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) views Mitsubishi Motors like a pet.
    It absolutely does. Isnt there a quote somewhere that they'll keep making cars as long as it doesn't lose to much money but, they don't consider their automotive section as profitable business and more or less just a project line they like to keep around for novelty