Thread: Spoon Rigid Subframe Collars

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Spoon Rigid Subframe Collars

They are expensive. They would help with chassis flex. I'm just putting it on here just so everyone knows that they are available because probably you would never come across these.

They have a video on the front page you can watch.
    http://www.rigidcollar.com/

Fronts...
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPOON-RIGID-C...item4aea7cb81f

Rears...are cheaper
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPOON-REAR-RI...6dfcf1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by obrother; 07-29-2015 at 04:46 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to obrother For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Very interesting and informative!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think one thing that would help besides this is having a full front to back crossmember under the engine. The crossmember doesn't go from the front support to the the chassis. It only goes from the chassis to the transmission. Its like having half of a bridge.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just added link for rears. They are cheaper. In #1 post.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would recheck EVERYTHING about that ad. SPOON Sports is a Honda-only fabrication and race shop. In older chassis Mitsubishis and Hondas (note: 1990's), general part sharing was a bit more normalized since designs were far more simple and similar. Here, you're talking about someone on EBay claiming that a part from a Honda-only company has a part that could fit a car that is unlike anything else from most any other manufacturer, save Daihatsu, Suzuki, and a handful of other one-off cars from VW and Ford.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think you understand what this part is. This collar is akin to a washer. If you have a bolt of size x the rigid collar for bolt size x will fit any car that uses bolt size x.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    I don't think you understand what this part is. This collar is akin to a washer. If you have a bolt of size x the rigid collar for bolt size x will fit any car that uses bolt size x.
    I do understand the theory and that it works on bolt size for the I.D., but what I'm saying is that aluminum can only change shape to create the seal so much before it becomes too dense. Also, it may sleeve the bolts tightly, but the orifice through which the bolt passes can be of varying tolerances and therefore there is a chance that a) the collar flange may not fully seat to the point of contact since the taper will bind early, or b) the collar flange may seat and the taper may still have a significant gap between itself and the orifice in which it is meant to insert into. I'm pretty sure the designer of the collar based it off of Honda tolerances, but from what I know of Mitsubishis, Hondas, and the sort I've worked on, Hondas usually have a smaller bolt hole tolerance than most other manufacturers.