Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Battery and Alternator

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post

It won't fit.

As I understand, I am the only one who has mounted a sub in a custom built box under the passenger seat. In order to get just 0.25 cubic foot, I had to build it with multiple angles that a pre-fab box just won't have. It was not easy but it sure was worth it!!

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Hey everyone,

Thinking of putting a much better stereo system in the car, and adding a subwoofer under the passenger seat, but the current battery and alternator wouldn't be able to handle it I don't reckon, so what would be an upgrade?

I'd like 4 speakers 2 tweeters and a sub, nothing huge.... It doesn't have to be, the car is little... Probably bigger speakers in the back, and ideally I'd like to relocate them to higher up somewhere (need to put some thought into that), but no more than about 500-600w for entire system including the Sat Nav and DVD.... Does that sound feasible or am I way off?

I don't plan on updating my lights to LED's so I'm willing to update the abovementioned..... When the warranty is up, I can play with the motor....

Any advice is appreciated...

Laceygirl...
    Have you checked it will fit under there? The cars jack is mounted underneath that seat :P

You can get some front door speaker spacers off ebay which mean you don't have to drill holes for the speakers. The factory ones go into the door as a triangle shape and don't actually screw in, they insert then twist to lock in. I bought a set for when I replace mine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (08-15-2015)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    You can get some front door speaker spacers off ebay which mean you don't have to drill holes for the speakers. The factory ones go into the door as a triangle shape and don't actually screw in, they insert then twist to lock in. I bought a set for when I replace mine.
    Yup, the part number is CT25MT02; the Lancers and Outlanders share the same part as well.

Also, for those who don't want to cut up the speaker wires, cable adapter is CT55-MT01.
    Last edited by Littlestan; 08-15-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you checked it will fit under there? The cars jack is mounted underneath that seat :P

The jack is under the driver's seat in my 2014 Mirage. Under the passenger seat, I built a custom sub box that houses an 8" subwoofer and is powered by a 250 watt JL Audio amp mounted under the driver's seat (I moved the jack to the hatch). It is a tight fit for the sub and not all of them fit, but it does work. I started a thread on here with pictures that show the box.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    The jack is under the driver's seat in my 2014 Mirage. Under the passenger seat, I built a custom sub box that houses an 8" subwoofer and is powered by a 250 watt JL Audio amp mounted under the driver's seat (I moved the jack to the hatch). It is a tight fit for the sub and not all of them fit, but it does work. I started a thread on here with pictures that show the box.
    Opposite for Aus mirages. Passenger (left side) has the jack mounted to the floor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (08-17-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Opposite for Aus mirages. Passenger (left side) has the jack mounted to the floor.

Cool, that's interesting. So we found another small difference between the different models around the world. The jack is under the driver's seat, regardless of what side of the car the driver's seat is on!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    It won't fit.

As I understand, I am the only one who has mounted a sub in a custom built box under the passenger seat. In order to get just 0.25 cubic foot, I had to build it with multiple angles that a pre-fab box just won't have. It was not easy but it sure was worth it!!
    I will make a cardboard box and try fitment, stay posted. Pioneer TS-WH500A sub is 13.4 x 2.4 x 9.8 inches, and it is low power/high efficiency design, so it does not need heavy duty electric, just 15A.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    All that power for a sound system that will make you as deaf as I am at 64. Then you can turn the radio off and listen to a sound that is similar to the whining noise you have when driving on grooved concrete pavement on the Interstate, for the rest of your life.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (08-17-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    All that power for a sound system that will make you as deaf as I am at 64. Then you can turn the radio off and listen to a sound that is similar to the whining noise you have when driving on grooved concrete pavement on the Interstate, for the rest of your life.

regards
    mech

My hearing is not nearly as good as what it used to be, but having lots of power does not necessarily mean the end user will crank the volume. Even though I've got Infinity front speakers and an 8" subwoofer under the passenger seat, I find that I crank the volume less now than when the speakers were all stock because I can clearly hear all of the music (or mostly AM radio now) than what I could before.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mech,

We appreciate the PSA, but if one is looking for information about subs, this is the right place to go. Some just prefer to hear all the sounds from the music that plays.

Although our stock speakers and HU isn't too bad, we're still missing a few low notes; especially in the pop/hiphop/rap music.