Thread: Coolant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i have a question.
    i just had my 10kms PMS service in a Mitsubishi casa
    the technician used a Green coolant on my reserve but failed to check my radiator because he left the old sticker from my last PMS is still intact for warranty purposes.

first is, what is the Green coolant used? is there a certain coolant in mitsubishi that has this Green color coolant. as i know our mirage can use the 50/50 coolant long life premium which is blue in color. is it ok even if its Green for our mirage?

second, for the 10kms PMS service does mitsubishi really need not to check the rad if it still has enough liquid inside?
    the radiator is a non-sealed system in regards to your radiator cap acting as a pressure relief valve and the tank is a overflow tank. As your vehicle gets hotter the fluid expands and has to go somewhere. Once the pressure builds up to a certain level it pushes the spring upwards in your cap and allows coolant to push out into your overflow tank. As it cools it will suck some back in. As long as the overflow tank wasn't dry the system hasn't sucked any air into the radiator. The green coolant was probably the cheapy glycol based coolant which is NOT the proper coolant. It will cause corrosion of aluminum parts. It should have either been pink or blue. HOAT based coolants only, hybrid organic acid technology.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016),Eggman (04-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    the radiator is a non-sealed system in regards to your radiator cap acting as a pressure relief valve and the tank is a overflow tank. As your vehicle gets hotter the fluid expands and has to go somewhere. Once the pressure builds up to a certain level it pushes the spring upwards in your cap and allows coolant to push out into your overflow tank. As it cools it will suck some back in. As long as the overflow tank wasn't dry the system hasn't sucked any air into the radiator. The green coolant was probably the cheapy glycol based coolant which is NOT the proper coolant. It will cause corrosion of aluminum parts. It should have either been pink or blue. HOAT based coolants only, hybrid organic acid technology.
    Last time I checked my coolant was full. Are people having coolant loss ? Just wondered why someone had to add coolant.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-28-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    yep thats what ive read somewhere when googling and said it turns into mud like thats why i worried about this. but the green coolant was from the dealer so it can be a mitsu coolant but a different one unlike the blue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Last time I checked my coolant was full. Are people having coolant loss ? Just wondered why someone had to add coolant.
    last PMS i had was on Nov 2015 and they fill up the reserve. and just recently had my PMS the other day. My reserve was almost at the low level and never added it since my last PMS Nov 2015. is it normal for 5 months of use with my mirage then my reserve coolant is almost at the low level?
    Last edited by mitsumi; 04-28-2016 at 01:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yep thats what ive read somewhere when googling and said it turns into mud like thats why i worried about this. but the green coolant was from the dealer so it can be a mitsu coolant but a different one unlike the blue.
    Onlly way to know for sure is to go back and have them show you what coolant they put in. If it was a non-HOAT coolant then they need to do a complete flush and replace with a HOAT coolant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (04-28-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Onlly way to know for sure is to go back and have them show you what coolant they put in. If it was a non-HOAT coolant then they need to do a complete flush and replace with a HOAT coolant.
    thanks will do tomorrow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks will do tomorrow.
    I just notice in my car that the upper hose clamp from the radiator was not tight enough and small drops of coolant were coming out very slowly (perhaps Mitsubishi quality control isn't that good). Check your radiator clamps and make sure they are really tight just in case.... My reserve tank was low as well when I first bought the car.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CESARG View Post
    I just notice in my car that the upper hose clamp from the radiator was not tight enough and small drops of coolant were coming out very slowly (perhaps Mitsubishi quality control isn't that good). Check your radiator clamps and make sure they are really tight just in case.... My reserve tank was low as well when I first bought the car.
    not mine, since then i havent noticed any drops. but is it normal for 5 months use the coolant goes to reach at low? from Full to low.

anyways, since the dealer takes time to give me resolution and wants me to go back just to check i already did what is supposed to be done. i bought the long life premium and changed the reserved coolant. I asked the service and parts at the other dealer here and he said if it was the green coolant that was put in, it is the old coolant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    not mine, since then i havent noticed any drops. but is it normal for 5 months use the coolant goes to reach at low? from Full to low.

anyways, since the dealer takes time to give me resolution and wants me to go back just to check i already did what is supposed to be done. i bought the long life premium and changed the reserved coolant. I asked the service and parts at the other dealer here and he said if it was the green coolant that was put in, it is the old coolant.
    You're in a hot, humid area so some loss could be expected especially if you're spending a lot of time in stop and go conditions. I've never even heard my radiator fan come on but I live in a cool, damp environment. I'd monitor your coolant loss closely, you shouldn't be experiencing continuous loss of coolant from the reserve tank.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-01-2016)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm thinking no. From the owners manual "Use “Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Super LongLife Coolant Premium” or equivalent*.*: similar high quality ethylene glycolbased non-silicate, non-amine, nonnitrateand non-borate coolant with longlife hybrid organic acid technology" Hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) based anti-freeze. The Prestone is not a HOAT anti-freeze. Also from the manual: "Do not use alcohol or methanol antifreeze orany engine coolants that contain them. Usingthe wrong antifreeze can corrode aluminumparts" The Mitsubishi Anti-Freeze is MZ313950. It looks like Chrysler products use the same anti-freeze because that part number is for Chrysler anti-freeze also. Considering Mitsubishi & Chrysler's long term relationship in the past this isn't a surprise. Looks like there are 2 Chrysler dealers in Manilla so I'm not sure which is easier for you to go to either a Mitsubishi or Chrysler dealer.
    How much was the coolant from the dealership?