Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This OAT coolant from Walmart meets the Mitsubishi Specs and is a concentrate so you are getting 2 gallons of "mixed" product for $9.99. What I mean is that after you mix it with water it will yield 2 gallons.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech...eeze/654563748

But it may not be "blue" in color so in my case since my vehicle is still under warranty I decided just to fill with the Valvoline Blue Asian for now. Dont want to give the Dealership any excuse to void a warranty claim in the future.

We know they will look for any excuse or loophole to deny warranty service.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gonna gonna give this stuff a try

Recochem OEM 86-384GROEMH Green Premium Antifreeze 50/50 Extended Life Green https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077NSLG4N/..._.9ZXDbMQ39A6J

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did my first coolant change today at 27,000 miles and 6 years. PH strips finally called for it. With Valvoline branded blue asian. I drained old coolant and that is shown in the picture of the first shot glass. Was dark green. Then I filled once with distilled water and went on 10 minute drive. then drained (second shot glass) then filled again with distilled water and went on another 10 minute drive. Then drained the water (3rd shot glass) at this point the water is just about clear and looks good enough to me so I filled with coolant and completed the job. I had to remove the bottom kick-plate with those annoying fasteners and broke a couple of them but I have a whole bag of spares. I only drained via the petcock I did not touch the engine-drain bolt at all.

3 quarts came out (including the reservoir tank) each time so I presume 20-25% gets left behind in the engine when you drain only via the petcock. Its a pretty simple job, I would not bother to pay a mechanic to do this.

Name:  44f82074-eb2c-46a6-a6ab-74be756d8ae8.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  ace889e8-5347-4c84-b5ef-ecbaa0b145b4.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  87.0 KB

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Ls1WVQS
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-13-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i have a question.
    i just had my 10kms PMS service in a Mitsubishi casa
    the technician used a Green coolant on my reserve but failed to check my radiator because he left the old sticker from my last PMS is still intact for warranty purposes.

first is, what is the Green coolant used? is there a certain coolant in mitsubishi that has this Green color coolant. as i know our mirage can use the 50/50 coolant long life premium which is blue in color. is it ok even if its Green for our mirage?

second, for the 10kms PMS service does mitsubishi really need not to check the rad if it still has enough liquid inside?
    First of all, you must use the correct coolant if you don't want to suffer later. If it just says "good for Mitsubishi", it is not good enough, because our cars use a different coolant than practically all other Mitsubishi!

There is no standardized colour for any particular sort of coolant, and each maker does just what they want! Colour is practically meaningless.
    Our cars nead HOAT coolant, but not every sort of HOAT is the right sort. Also, do not mix products from different manufacturers. Even if both say their own product would be OK, it will most probably not be OK when they are mixed in the same car.

Here in Europe G30 is good and readily available. I do not know what they have in your area, you may want to check directly with a well-known manufacturer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-14-2022)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    First of all, you must use the correct coolant if you don't want to suffer later. If it just says "good for Mitsubishi", it is not good enough, because our cars use a different coolant than practically all other Mitsubishi!

There is no standardized colour for any particular sort of coolant, and each maker does just what they want! Colour is practically meaningless.
    Our cars nead HOAT coolant, but not every sort of HOAT is the right sort. Also, do not mix products from different manufacturers. Even if both say their own product would be OK, it will most probably not be OK when they are mixed in the same car.

Here in Europe G30 is good and readily available. I do not know what they have in your area, you may want to check directly with a well-known manufacturer.
    I'm intending to use this, good? https://penriteoil.com.au/products/g...coolant-premix

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    WRONG STUFF!
    Suits most Mitsubishi but not for our cars!

The right stuff would be the equivalent of G30, the same all Suzuki since 1981 and all landrover since 1998 use.

As far as I know, Penrite blue might be correct. Should you want to use it, make very sure you have completely flushed out the last drop of the (incompatable) old stuff first, before refilling with a 50% concentration using distilled water.

May I suggest you give the folks at Penrite a call or email. Btw, whereabout in Oz are you located?
    Last edited by foama; 01-14-2022 at 11:53 AM.

There was green coolant in my car when I bought it. When I replaced the engine I poured green universal coolant back in. The inside of the coolant passages looked brand new at 290000kms. I’d probably be beheaded if I were in Germany.
    I use the blue import stuff on work cars when I replace a rad or to top off. I use the cooling depot stuff below. I used to use the pentosin blue stuff but I don't know if we carry that line anymore.
    Attachment 22695
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-14-2022 at 12:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

skyblue (01-14-2022)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    WRONG STUFF!
    Suits most Mitsubishi but not for our cars!

The right stuff would be the equivalent of G30, the same all Suzuki since 1981 and all landrover since 1998 use.

As far as I know, Penrite blue might be correct. Should you want to use it, make very sure you have completely flushed out the last drop of the (incompatable) old stuff first, before refilling with a 50% concentration using distilled water.

May I suggest you give the folks at Penrite a call or email. Btw, whereabout in Oz are you located?
    Well Penrite blue is G30 but it's OAT, but I need HOAT. But the Penrite green doesn't specify if it's silicate free. I had no idea this was going to be so weird.

I might just go and buy a mega expensive bottle of original Mitsubishi, but knowing those guys they'll give me any old bottle in the back, making that special journey somewhat useless.

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Did my first coolant change today at 27,000 miles and 6 years. PH strips finally called for it. With Valvoline branded blue asian. I drained old coolant and that is shown in the picture of the first shot glass. Was dark green. Then I filled once with distilled water and went on 10 minute drive. then drained (second shot glass) then filled again with distilled water and went on another 10 minute drive. Then drained the water (3rd shot glass) at this point the water is just about clear and looks good enough to me so I filled with coolant and completed the job. I had to remove the bottom kick-plate with those annoying fasteners and broke a couple of them but I have a whole bag of spares. I only drained via the petcock I did not touch the engine-drain bolt at all.

3 quarts came out (including the reservoir tank) each time so I presume 20-25% gets left behind in the engine when you drain only via the petcock. Its a pretty simple job, I would not bother to pay a mechanic to do this.

Name:  44f82074-eb2c-46a6-a6ab-74be756d8ae8.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  ace889e8-5347-4c84-b5ef-ecbaa0b145b4.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  87.0 KB

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Ls1WVQS
    Weird, this is your first coolant change or the first time the car has ever had it's coolant changed? It should have been blue coolant in there I thought? I wonder/assume being in a completely different environment(hotter than here) breaks down your coolant a lot faster? Or maybe someone replaced or topped off your coolant with the green import stuff at one time?

I didn't think you have to remove any plastic on these cars to drain the rad? I thought there may have been just enough room for the coolant to miss the lower plastic under the rad support? I'm probably wrong about this though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Well Penrite blue is G30 but it's OAT, but I need HOAT. But the Penrite green doesn't specify if it's silicate free. I had no idea this was going to be so weird.

I might just go and buy a mega expensive bottle of original Mitsubishi, but knowing those guys they'll give me any old bottle in the back, making that special journey somewhat useless.
    If Penrite blue is G30 ist should be right.
    Just call Penrite or send them a mail and they can tell you what's OK.

The FSM says, quote:
    "high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant
    with long life Hybrid Organic Acid Technology"

In spite of that some 2014-2015 Mirage obviously came with the wrong OEM coolant, proof are the clogged heater cores, clogged with silicate-based gel and virtually insoluable.