Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Schedule 1 & 2 are the same for the engine coolant -

Factory coolant should be changed at 120,000 miles (192,000 km) or 96 months (8 years).

Thereafter every 90,000 miles (144,000 km) or 72 months.

Exact copy & paste from maintenance schedule -

"Change engine coolant - First change at 120,000 miles (192,000 km) or at 96 months, thereafter every 90,000 miles (144,000 km) or 72 months"

This is why they are labeled - "super long life coolants"

Use “Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Super Long Life Coolant Premium” or equivalent*.
    *: similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, nonnitrate and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology
    All good recommendations if you bought your car new and were the only owner. If you bought used and can't verify what's in the system, there's nothing wrong with changing earlier. Personally, even if I bought new, I wouldn't wait 8 years to change my coolant. I also don't wait 10,000 miles to change Mobil 1 synthetic. To each their own.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I actually watched your coolant change before I saw it posted on the forum, because I am one of your subscribers.

If you have the right tools, I think draining the engine block is worth the extra effort.

I appreciate your Mirage videos!

Draining the engine block is rather easy, and the gasket probably can be reused.
    Its just that the drain plug is accessed from underneath. Difficult from above, and underneath is where gravity makes the stuff flow to. Coolant in your eyes or hair, just not fun at all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2022),mohammad (05-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    All good recommendations if you bought your car new and were the only owner. If you bought used and can't verify what's in the system, there's nothing wrong with changing earlier. Personally, even if I bought new, I wouldn't wait 8 years to change my coolant. I also don't wait 10,000 miles to change Mobil 1 synthetic. To each their own.
    Unlike engine oil, coolant is easier to test yourself. If I bought a used Mirage, I would make sure it had the proper coolant. Then I would follow the 90,000 mile or 6-years recommendation after that. During that time, a person can test their coolant (for peace of mind).

If someone is not comfortable with the 120,000 miles or 8 year recommendation with their new Mirage, a person can surely do whatever feels best for them. It may reflect how much you drive your Mirage, too.

If you are someone who racks up 120,000 miles in a few years, changing coolant @ 120,000 miles may be perfectly fine. If you are someone who drives less than 10,000 miles/year, the 8 year change should be the maximum. There's no harm in doing it sooner than that.

As far as oil/filter changes go, I sort of blend the two schedules (neither schedule recommends 10,000 oil changes).

Schedule 1 recommends 3,750 mile oil/filter changes, & schedule 2 recommends 7,500 miles.

For someone who changed conventional oil/cheap filters every 3,000 miles for decades, I am at peace with splitting the difference between the two schedules above. Most mechanics that I respect seem to recommend 5,000 mile synthetic oil changes with a mid-grade oil filter. A Mirage only holds 3 quarts, & I see no reason to leave it in longer than that (5,000 miles or 1 year).

I just did a 1,400 mile round trip, & I knew that I would be slightly over my 5,000 mile oil change interval. My Mirage was @ 65,300 miles when I got home last night. I plan on changing oil/filter today, & my next oil/filter change will be @ 70,000 miles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,027 Posts
    ...65,300 miles when I got home last night.
    That's 300 miles of abuse. You should be ashamed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah, but the MANUFACTURER of the oil, Mobil 1, says it can go 10,000 miles between changes.
    AP - Not saying you're wrong, but let's consider the application of said Mobil 1.

In which application is Mobil 1 getting its ass beat more:
    • 3 quarts capacity of Mobil 1 in a 1.2 L 3-Tapper that turns 4,000 rpm at 80 mph? Or,
    • 9 quarts capacity, of Mobil 1 in a 4.6L V8, that turns 2,000 rpm at 80 mph.

My point is (and not to say I'm right, I don't officially know, things are very complex) which application is beating up the oil 'more worster?' The high revving engine that holds only a small amount? Or a low revving engine that holds 3X the capacity.

I would think the 1.2L is beating the oil up mo' fastuh than the 4.6L engine. But I speculate. My Lexus runs a 4.6L and yes, it does hold I believe it is 9.1 or 9.2 quarts of oil. So ... I only change it every 10k miles (which doesn't happen very often).

Mobil 1 may say 10k miles. But I think the application has a bearing on that as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (05-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That's 300 miles of abuse. You should be ashamed.
    But it may get some extra TLC if I change it @ 70,000 miles now (4,700 miles instead of 5,000).

I like 5,000 mile oil/filter changes (give or take a few hundred miles), because it's easy to remember. I still rip off a cardboard tab off the oil filter box and tape the mileage/date to the inside of my windshield. The last oil/filter change was done @ 59,900 miles on 2-12-22. Today was 65,289 miles. So I technically missed 5,000 miles by 389 miles this time around. I drove about 675 miles to get home yesterday. The thought of changing my oil in the middle of all that driving yesterday didn't seem all that appealing to me.

I don't follow all the recommendations.

I switched to using 5W-30 Super Tech Full Synthetic oil some time ago, but like everything prices have gone up on that, too. Manuals in other countries don't limit oil choices to 0W-20 oil, & I think the 0W-20 oil recommendation is purely based on improving the economy of the Mirage.

Walmart also carries a Super Tech Advanced Full Synthetic oil (higher priced oil) now, but I am content with the Super Tech full synthetic oil changed every 5,000 miles. I am also changing a 10,000 mile rate oil filter (Purolator Pure One) every 5,000 miles. If I went with longer oil change intervals, I would use their BOSS oil filter.

I base some of what I do on Steve's plastic car going 300,000+ miles with 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles, and he didn't have any major engine issues over that time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    AP - Not saying you're wrong, but let's consider the application of said Mobil 1.

In which application is Mobil 1 getting its ass beat more:
    • 3 quarts capacity of Mobil 1 in a 1.2 L 3-Tapper that turns 4,000 rpm at 80 mph? Or,
    • 9 quarts capacity, of Mobil 1 in a 4.6L V8, that turns 2,000 rpm at 80 mph.

My point is (and not to say I'm right, I don't officially know, things are very complex) which application is beating up the oil 'more worster?' The high revving engine that holds only a small amount? Or a low revving engine that holds 3X the capacity.

I would think the 1.2L is beating the oil up mo' fastuh than the 4.6L engine. But I speculate. My Lexus runs a 4.6L and yes, it does hold I believe it is 9.1 or 9.2 quarts of oil. So ... I only change it every 10k miles (which doesn't happen very often).

Mobil 1 may say 10k miles. But I think the application has a bearing on that as well.
    "Bearing", I see what you did there. Clever.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    This is an old thread...but related to the current discussion: 15,000 mile oil change analysis

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Bearing", I see what you did there. Clever.
    I done been sick the past couple days. But I meant to add to my clever reply above, that I think that even though the 1.2L engine might beat Mobil 1's ass more than my 4.6L, I still think the Mobil 1 is 'up to the job' of 10k miles in the 1.2L.

I would not believe it would do any harm to the engine to go 10k miles on Mobil 1 in the 1.2L engine.

My idea is to spend as little money on the Mirage as is possible and use an inexpensive standard motor oil and a decent filter every 7,500 miles, and not sweat it. Regular maintenance is more important than which brand ... in my opinion. I'm saving my extra dollars for blackjack and hookers.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I done been sick the past couple days. But I meant to add to my clever reply above, that I think that even though the 1.2L engine might beat Mobil 1's ass more than my 4.6L, I still think the Mobil 1 is 'up to the job' of 10k miles in the 1.2L.

I would not believe it would do any harm to the engine to go 10k miles on Mobil 1 in the 1.2L engine.

My idea is to spend as little money on the Mirage as is possible and use an inexpensive standard motor oil and a decent filter every 7,500 miles, and not sweat it. Regular maintenance is more important than which brand ... in my opinion. I'm saving my extra dollars for blackjack and hookers.
    Reminds me of a old co-worker of mine who used to work an astronomical amount of overtime but drove the worst vehicle (totally clapped out, bungee cord keeping the trunk shut etc..). I asked him once what he spent his money on and he replied "I invest it in booze and women, then I blow the rest". At least he had a financial plan!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-27-2022)