Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Mark is right!

You do not and never ever want to mix OAT with HOAT or even old-fashioned simple gycol coolant. The result can kill an engine quickly, how quickly depends on what materials are used and which are in contact with each other.

A cheap coolant may be OK, but never ever mix one brand or a different sort of the same or other brand with any other stuff, including stuff supposed to be compatible.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-17-2019),poorman1 (08-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Mark I hope you don't mind that I embedded the video in your post. I'm sure it will be helpful in explaining what you are saying about coolant types, without having to visit Youtube to see it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark I hope you don't mind that I embedded the video in your post. I'm sure it will be helpful in explaining what you are saying about coolant types, without having to visit Youtube to see it.
    My hope is some may appreciate the explanation, because there are a lot of different products on the market. It would be very easy to mix different types these days, & I am not convinced that is a good practice.

Flushing out the cooling system and starting over with something else may be ok, but that doesn't mean it's a better product for your car.

Thank you for doing that Eggman! I appreciate it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Mark is right!

You do not and never ever want to mix OAT with HOAT or even old-fashioned simple gycol coolant. The result can kill an engine quickly, how quickly depends on what materials are used and which are in contact with each other.

A cheap coolant may be OK, but never ever mix one brand or a different sort of the same or other brand with any other stuff, including stuff supposed to be compatible.
    Thanks Foama!

I am not pretending to be an expert on this, & it's been a somewhat confusing topic for me. Why do we have so many types of coolants on the market? I come to realize it's been a bit of an evolution. As engines have changed, oils and coolants have changed, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Excuse my ignorance Im a car novice. My coolant is asian blue but not sure which brand. I dont want to mix, as suggested on this board, I just want to make sure Im matching the same fluids with what I buy and what I have already in the reservoir, which is half full. So questions. My last oil change was at the Mitsu dealership. Do they typically top off all the fluids for oil changes? Im assuming they use OEM coolant? My reservoir is half full, should I fill it to the fill line? Is asian blue mixable with other asian blue, if both organic? Your thoughts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Proper maintenance along with quality products are far more important that pouring some super duper long lasting product in the car and forgetting about it for five or even seven years.

I would much rather replace my good coolant every two years as it gives me a chance to visually inspect for problems.

If the coolant comes out clean and is the proper amount I know things are fine. If my coolant comes out brown (rust) or milky (head gasket leak) then I know something is wrong and it gets addressed then and there. The longer you go between maintenance, the greater chances you have of something going wrong and not noticing it until it is too late.

I always get a chuckle when I hear about these super duper fluids guaranteed to last forever. Jay Leno was hyping a lifetime coolant a few years back that cost $100 a gallon. Have fun loosing that stuff when your water pump goes out or something else fails causing you to loose coolant.

I've lost water pumps 500 miles from home and its a lot less stressful when you can top the car off with readily available coolant to limp home.

My $10 a gallon Prestone serves the purpose and does not cause problems. It is nice knowing that should I ever have a coolant leak in the Mirage, I don't have to worry about searching the stores for a blue Asian coolant hoping it is in stock. Prestone is available everywhere including gas stations. Should I ever get in a pinch and need to top off the coolant in an emergency, I simply pull into a gas station, buy some Prestone and I'm done.

For what its worth, I never suggested mixing coolant either. I always flush a cooling system with distilled water before switching brands. Despite Prestone being compatible with everything, I still don't want that blue garbage in my coolant system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Im a car novice. My coolant is asian blue but not sure which brand. I dont want to mix, as suggested on this board, I just want to make sure Im matching the same fluids with what I buy and what I have already in the reservoir, which is half full. So questions. My last oil change was at the Mitsu dealership. Do they typically top off all the fluids for oil changes? Im assuming they use OEM coolant? My reservoir is half full, should I fill it to the fill line? Is asian blue mixable with other asian blue, if both organic? Your thoughts.
    Just drop by your Mitsubishi dealership and buy some OEM coolant.

Or do things the right way. Get that blue crap out of your car and change to a readily available coolant such as Prestone.

But if you don't have the tools and resources to do so, just buy a gallon of OEM stuff.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks Foama!

I am not pretending to be an expert on this, & it's been a somewhat confusing topic for me. Why do we have so many types of coolants on the market? I come to realize it's been a bit of an evolution. As engines have changed, oils and coolants have changed, too.
    The same reason we have so many brands of gasoline and oil. Everyone is busy bragging about what makes there's better than everyone else's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Half full is fine. I see no reason to keep it full.

I live 65 miles from a Mitsubishi dealership, & I bought my Mirage from a dealership 4-hours away. Since I do my own oil changes ( & other simple service items), I bought a one gallon jug ($12.97 @ Walmart) of the proper HOAT coolant that matches what is already in my Mirage. It's pre-mixed. Since I don't live in town, I like having items like this on hand at home. I shared this already, but this is what I bought

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...llon/801754735

When I decide to do a coolant change, I am going to buy another jug of the same stuff. I see no reason to try anything else. I am going to drain the radiator and engine block, & I am going to add the exact same type of fluid already in the car. I see no reason for flushing/switching to an inferior coolant to save a few bucks.

You asked about radiator drain plugs earlier. I like this clip, because it is short. Watch 55-150 seconds, and you will will see the two plugs that need to be drained. You want to remove the old coolant from your radiator and engine block at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdKMIe2Dw0

If someone wants to change to a different coolant, I see no problem with that. I just wouldn't mix types. If a HOAT coolant is recommended for our engines, I am sticking with that. I haven't read or seen anything that would suggest something else is better for our cars.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Just drop by your Mitsubishi dealership and buy some OEM coolant.

Or do things the right way. Get that blue crap out of your car and change to a readily available coolant such as Prestone.

But if you don't have the tools and resources to do so, just buy a gallon of OEM stuff.
    That is very poor advice.

If you want to buy a Prestone coolant, I would recommend buying one that is HOAT coolant! Who knows, maybe you have that?

There are different coolants on the market for a reason. I have no reason to believe the blue stuff in our cars is crap. It's a HOAT coolant, & they are superior to the green stuff you are suggesting.

If you are not willing to learn about what new products are on the market, buying OEM is the best alternative. I will not argue that.