Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Dirk, fun fact: air conditioning works in 2 ways. It cools the air and (wait for it)...conditions the air by removing moisture. What you're seeing is that moisture removed by the evaporator and exiting the evaporator drain. All is functioning as it should! Keep asking questions, my dude. This is an educational forum!
    Dirk, especially there in the humid South your condenser is going to remove a lot of moisture so even a seemingly large puddle wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. As a FYI though since you have a 2014 you should check your condenser drain tube above the right passenger foot. It will be a small black hose with no clamp. Put a clamp on it securing it to the connector because it is possible for a passenger to knock it loose and then all of that moisture drains underneath the carpet and saturates everything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Dirk, especially there in the humid South your condenser is going to remove a lot of moisture so even a seemingly large puddle wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. As a FYI though since you have a 2014 you should check your condenser drain tube above the right passenger foot. It will be a small black hose with no clamp. Put a clamp on it securing it to the connector because it is possible for a passenger to knock it loose and then all of that moisture drains underneath the carpet and saturates everything.
    I believe you are getting the condenser and evaporator mixed up. The evaporator sits inside the car and has a drain below it that routes moisture outside of the car. The evaporator sits inside the blower motor housing.

The condenser sits in the very front of the engine bay and is connected to the radiator. The condenser does not have a drain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But back on topic, people really overthink this coolant stuff. Just drain out that blue garbage, and fill the system with green Prestone coolant. It is compatible with every car including our Mirages.

If you want your cooling system to function like it should, the most important thing is that you replace your coolant every two years to avoid corrosion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I believe you are getting the condenser and evaporator mixed up. The evaporator sits inside the car and has a drain below it that routes moisture outside of the car. The evaporator sits inside the blower motor housing.

The condenser sits in the very front of the engine bay and is connected to the radiator. The condenser does not have a drain.
    Yup, you’re right!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    But back on topic, people really overthink this coolant stuff. Just drain out that blue garbage, and fill the system with green Prestone coolant. It is compatible with every car including our Mirages.

If you want your cooling system to function like it should, the most important thing is that you replace your coolant every two years to avoid corrosion.
    Coolants have changed in recent years & manufacturers recommend different coolants for their engines. Even Prestone acknowledges this!!!!!!

Prestone quote: "When it comes to your engine, we believe that a one-size-fits-all might not seem ideal. That’s why with our newest series of coolant, we've formulated a solution that fits directly with your vehicle’s factory specifications. That way, you can defy the elements with peace of mind."

There are very different types of coolants on the market. If Prestone truly believed one product does it all, they would sell one product. If you want to use an older product made for older vehicles, that's your choice. Overall, antifreeze is not that expensive. Not using what's recommended by the manufacturer to save a few bucks doesn't seem a good investment to me? I surely would not mix products. Some mix ok, but some do not! Why do that experiment in your car?

These are terms copied & pasted from a Mirage owner's manual - "high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology"

These are types of coolant listed by Valvoline -

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...engine-coolant

Likewise Prestone makes different types of coolants for different types of vehicles -

http://prestone.com/vehiclespecific?...ontent=vehicle

If you want to use an old type of coolant in your Mirage, who cares?

Likewise - If someone wants to use what is recommended by the manufacturer, why should anyone care?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    To get back to coolant, there was (Daox?) who had a major heater core problem, which required replacement of the core. It was partly clogged and full of gooey stuff. Since that may be coolant-related, I contacted the BASF being the world's largest chemical maker and largest antifreeze maker. They said the problem was likely to have been caused by "residual substances in manufacturing" within the heater core itself reacting with the coolant.
    To prevent future problems on mine, the coolant was flushed out thoroughly and replaced by a better sort. They pointed out there was an even better sort "volvo coolant" especially formulated for conditions where clogging was otherwise likely.
    They also pointed out, it was important not to mix different coolants, and not from different makers. Although each coolant may be OK in the car by itself, mixing two "similar" coolants of different makers can easily cause unexpected problems.
    I don't know where I posted that BASF response, but it is in this forum somewhere.
    Last edited by foama; 08-17-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

is there a plug to drain the coolant out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    is there a plug to drain the coolant out?
    Two plugs. One for.rhe radiator & one for the coolant in the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Coolants have changed in recent years & manufacturers recommend different coolants for their engines. Even Prestone acknowledges this!!!!!!

Prestone quote: "When it comes to your engine, we believe that a one-size-fits-all might not seem ideal. That’s why with our newest series of coolant, we've formulated a solution that fits directly with your vehicle’s factory specifications. That way, you can defy the elements with peace of mind."

There are very different types of coolants on the market. If Prestone truly believed one product does it all, they would sell one product. If you want to use an older product made for older vehicles, that's your choice. Overall, antifreeze is not that expensive. Not using what's recommended by the manufacturer to save a few bucks doesn't seem a good investment to me? I surely would not mix products. Some mix ok, but some do not! Why do that experiment in your car?

These are terms copied & pasted from a Mirage owner's manual - "high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology"

These are types of coolant listed by Valvoline -

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...engine-coolant

Likewise Prestone makes different types of coolants for different types of vehicles -

http://prestone.com/vehiclespecific?...ontent=vehicle

If you want to use an old type of coolant in your Mirage, who cares?

Likewise - If someone wants to use what is recommended by the manufacturer, why should anyone care?
    It’s amazing how people freak out about using Mitsubishi coolant but don’t freak about using Redline transmission lubricant. I’m not using Mitsubishi oil or oil filters in my car either. I’m surprised my car hasn’t exploded in the last 262k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ItÂ’s amazing how people freak out about using Mitsubishi coolant but donÂ’t freak about using Redline transmission lubricant. IÂ’m not using Mitsubishi oil or oil filters in my car either. IÂ’m surprised my car hasnÂ’t exploded in the last 262k miles.
    Not sure what any of this has to do with coolant?

Different manufacturers recommend different types of coolants for their engines. Acknowledging that is not freaking out.

Unless people are lying about it, some people have had issues with mixing coolants in all sorts of vehicles. In some cases, it has resulted in major repairs. Other people haven't had issue. Unless you really know which ones are compatible, I see no reason to risk it. Especially, when I can buy a jug of the recommended type @ Walmart or most auto parts stores.

In your case, you flushed out the factory coolant & decided to use something else. I see nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't mean it's a superior product. It's just what you choose to use.

I am just stating there several types of coolants on the market, & different manufacturers have recommendations on what they feel is best for their engines.

You switched your car over to inorganic coolant. The reason you have to switch it out every two year is because the additives in it will break down and corrode your engine. Inorganic coolants also conduct electricity as they break down which can increase engine issues. Organic coolants reduces some of these issues. Hybrid organic coolants are considered the best, & that is why they can go 7 years or 150,000 miles in some cars. That doesn't mean you can't switch it out earlier.

Coolants are very different. You can use an inferior product and switch it out every 2 years without issue. A person can pay a little extra for a superior coolant & still change it out early. The hybrid organic coolants are less corrosive to aluminum engines, & that is why many car have gone to them.

You do not want to mix inorganic, organic, or hybrid organic coolants. If you want to flush out the best coolant and use something cheaper, that may not cause problems. Like you have said, it will be very important to change it out every 2 years if you do this!

Hybrid organic coolants are considered the best, and they aren't that much more expensive these days.

If you want to learn more about inorganic, organic, & hybrid organic coolant, Scotty Kilmer has done a nice job of explaining the differences between. Including why manufacturers have gone this direction. He's old school, & he even admits the newer coolants are superior. If you don't like Scotty Kilmer, don't bother watching. I am just sharing some things I have found on this topic. I am sort of old school, & I needed to understand why these products were better for your car, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYX4kRaOvTM

Last edited by Eggman; 08-17-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Embedded video.