Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Ok but Im not sure if my coolant is OEM Mitsu? Its blue and Im not sure if they top off fluids at my last oil change which was done at the dealer. If I mix in a different blue HOAT by accident, Im I screwed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Ok but Im not sure if my coolant is OEM Mitsu? Its blue and Im not sure if they top off fluids at my last oil change which was done at the dealer. If I mix in a different blue HOAT by accident, Im I screwed?
    I have factory coolant in mine, & it is blue. If your coolant is blue, my guess is your coolant has never been changed. If it has been changed, it most likely a OEM match if it is blue. I would like to think a Mitsubishi dealership would add a proper coolant to top off your car.

People have different opinions on car maintenance. I try to use the maintenance schedule as a general guide. Engine coolant is listed as -

First change at 120,000 miles (192,000 km) or at 96 months, thereafter every 90,000 miles (144,000 km) or 72 months

Both schedule 1 & 2 list the same thing. I may change my coolant @ 5 years or 100,000 miles (which ever comes first). I may decide to do it earlier than that, too. If I was using the inorganic green coolant, I would change my coolant every 2 years regardless of the mileage.

Since your car is under 8 years old & under 120,000 miles, I would assume it has its original coolant. I don't plan on waiting 8 years or 120,000 miles to change my coolant.

If you are using a dealer for service, I don't understand why you are worrying about all this? Next time you get an oil change just ask them what they use to top off coolant levels. I'm sure they will say factory OEM coolant.

I've owned my Mirage for almost 2 years now, & I haven't had to add any coolant to my car at this point.

Sidenote: A CVT Mirage takes more coolant (4.8 vs. 4.2 quarts) than a manual one, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've read this whole conversation and only one thing has crossed my mind...

Who in the world thought BLUE was a good color for coolant in a world filled with Blue windshield washer fluid. I get that Blue and Cool(ant) kinda works, but at this point, blue is pretty much synonymous with Bug Spray and Glass Cleaner. I mean I always just assumed that coolant was Green, Pink, Orange, WTF ever OTHER than Blue for that exact reason. How have we not heard of someone topping off their rad with Bug Juice at this point? Seems crazy that we haven't.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post

Who in the world thought BLUE was a good color for coolant in a world filled with Blue windshield washer fluid. I get that Blue and Cool(ant) kinda works, but at this point, blue is pretty much synonymous with Bug Spray and Glass Cleaner. I mean I always just assumed that coolant was Green, Pink, Orange, WTF ever OTHER than Blue for that exact reason. How have we not heard of someone topping off their rad with Bug Juice at this point? Seems crazy that we haven't.
    Green isn't a safe color, either. Ford...in their infinite wisdom...decided to put the coolant and washer tanks right next to each other and make them look identical on my '92 Explorer. The Prestone bug wash in one is green, as is the antifreeze in the tank right next to it.

You can guess how this story ends...

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Found this info at PQIA

“The makes and models of vehicles require certain types of coolants and the color helps to identify fluid types. Florescent green for example, is a color commonly used to identify a product with Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) generally referred to “Conventional Coolant.” This type is specified for use in most Ford cars built prior to 2003. Following that year, Ford specified the use of Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT). This type of fluid is commonly yellow and was also specified in most Asian manufactured vehicles prior to 1996. Unlike many of the other car manufacturers, however, most Asian vehicles switched from HOAT to Phosphate Organic Acid Technology (POAT) in 1996.

I’ve looked at various sources

Valvoline has two (2) variants for the Asian vehicles:

The Red
    Name:  Valvoline Red.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  18.0 KB
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...a5&athena=true

And the Blue
    Name:  Valvoline Blue.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  21.8 KB
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...a5&athena=true

Both are phosphate-based w/ silica content @250ppm as per PDS, hence, P-HOAT

Prestone is P-OAT
    Name:  Prestone Coolant.jpeg
Views: 1204
Size:  26.3 KB
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...cles/783828828

PEAK
    OET ASIAN VEHICLE EXTENDED LIFE GREEN/BLUE/RED = P-OAT

- All three have the same specs and seem to differ only in color
    https://peakauto.com/products/antifr...ed-life-green/
    https://peakauto.com/products/antifr...ded-life-blue/
    https://peakauto.com/products/antifr...-life-redpink/

My car is about 5 and a half years old and I am looking forward to replacing the coolant not from a suggested/recommended time interval but from a coolant quality perspective.

My plan is to check it w/ ph test strip and/or ph meter when I get hold of them. The only thing I have done so far is testing w/ a refractometer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-18-2019),Cobrajet (01-14-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    This chart is from the world's largest coolant maker!

Just about every premium car maker uses their stuff as OEM.
    In the US they sell under a different name. The colours of their products are the same as the underlining colour on the product type sheet. For example G30 (Mirage) is violet in colour.

Beware, there is no industry standard for coolant colour, each maker does just what they want!
    Do not mix different brands and types! If you don't really know whats in the car, make sure to flush the old stuff out completely before adding anything new.

Name:  GLYSANTIN_List-Cars_EN.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by foama; 10-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Found this info at PQIA
    That's a lot of acronyms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You maintain your car nicely, & it has served you quite well. It's an inspiration to guys like me, who are way behind you in the mileage department. Personally, I have used some things you have shared to develop my own approach to maintaining my own Mirage. I appreciate everything you share!
    Thank you sir. I suppose its time for us to kiss and make up. Just because something works for me, it doesn't mean everyone has to do the exact same thing I do.

That being said, should I ever have a heater core failure, I'm going to end up eating some serious dirt. lol

I won't be so upset if/when my water pump fails though. Water pumps can fail way before 261k miles, no matter what coolant is in the system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow. I just read the posts after replying to Mark's. You guys really are overthinking this stuff. Just convert to green Prestone and be done with it.

Here we go again in 3, 2, 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post

Out here we used to mainly have pink bug wash and blue stuff for winter. But now I've seen green,yellow,purple etc....
    At work we run winter blue juice all year round.

When I was driving tow truck we had some retard do me a favor and fill up the washer tank with dexa cool. That was a nice surprise! Probably didn't help that they "recycled" fluids all the time at the junkyard and never marked the containers properly.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)