Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component Speakers

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Component Speakers

Has anyone tried to put component speakers in their front doors? I am planning on swapping out my front speakers for a component set. There doesn't seem to be an optimal place to put the tweeters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    You should always use the search function before making a post, their already is a post about this

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...er-replacement

Hope this helps

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillFieldz View Post
    You should always use the search function before making a post, their already is a post about this

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...er-replacement

Hope this helps
    I did search. The question was about tweeter placement for component speakers, not replacing the coaxials in the door cavities. There seems to be no good place to put the tweeters in the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Ahh I see, sorry for confusion.

I don't see the point in tweeters in the mirage as the doors are so tinny, it seems not worth time and effort putting decent speakers in the doors for them just to rattle and shake the door to bits

I'm going to replace my stock ones soon with some aftermarket ones but not going to spend too much, might sadd some noise insulation in the door panels too

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car audio gurus I talk to said these are the way to go for a cheap door speaker replacement. $34 a pair (35 and over free shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLG6C-6-5-Inch-400-Watt-Component/dp/B0007LCLPE/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439276790&sr =1-12&keywords=6.5+component+speakers

This will give you a component sound at cheaper than most coaxials
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Car audio gurus I talk to said these are the way to go for a cheap door speaker replacement. $34 a pair (35 and over free shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLG6C-6-5-Inch-400-Watt-Component/dp/B0007LCLPE/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439276790&sr =1-12&keywords=6.5+component+speakers

This will give you a component sound at cheaper than most coaxials
    Is the OP planning to replace the deck and/or add amps as well? I don't think the stock stereo would drive these very well. Speakers with external crossovers require a lot of juice. Or at least they did when I was installing them!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Honestly I'd just put decent coaxes like Pioneer TSA or Infinity Reference X. Pioneers 1685 could be had for $45. Pyles are not known for the quality of sound

Agree I think OEM deck puts out around 22.5watt RMS, you'd need an amp to drive them. Would not be enough to get PLGs going

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Honestly I'd just put decent coaxes like Pioneer TSA or Infinity Reference X. Pioneers 1685 could be had for $45. Pyles are not known for the quality of sound

Agree I think OEM deck puts out around 22.5watt RMS, you'd need an amp to drive them. Would not be enough to get PLGs going
    I am leaning towards just regular coaxials and using Infinity Reference speakers in the doors with an Infinity Basslink in the tailgate because it takes very little room. I'm not looking to annoy the neighbors, I just want some extra oomph. As for the stock head putting out 22.5w x 4 RMS, that's wishful thinking. It might do that peak, but with all my windows down on the highway I can turn it up all the way to 45 and barely hear it. It's not the worst factory system I've had but it is definitely not the best, but for a $13,000 MSRP car the fact that it has a decent stereo is pretty nice. The head unit is getting replaced with a Kenwood eXcelon unit and I may amp the speakers at a later time.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The stock speakers are 15watt RMS, 6om. At full they sound distorted, so they likely getting pushed to the max. Mitsu specs radio as 140watt (obviously peak), so it is 35watt x 4.

If you switch to Reference they are 3om, so you should be able to drive them to 30w?

Also the output chip commonly used in cheap radios is rated 22.5w into 4om as I recall.

BTW the difference btw 22.5 and 60w is only 4.25 dB. More important what is the minimal power rating, but this is not commonly published.

We have two sets of Pioneers waiting good weather, just need to stop by in Home Depot and get a roll of Peel & Seal. Might as well soundproof it.

EDIT: just looked at the bunch chepo audios with built-in MOSFET amps on Crutchfield and they all range from 14 to 22wt RMS, 50 peak, with most ~18wt. The peak has less variation so most likely the RMS difference is due to cooling.

Stock radio can't push out enough b/c it has 6om load. If they rated it at peak 35wt into 6om, it is the same as 50wt into 4om.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 08-12-2015 at 03:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (08-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont agree with the post saying we have the worst audio system... Using bluetooth, our audio system isnt bad. There can be a little improvement made by swapping the speakers, but mostly on mid/highs than anything - and on volume clarity from 40-45.

Now our radio (fm) is the worst I've ever had. Bad signal+quality all around.