Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Mirage change the way you drive your car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Same here.
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    I drive my Daihatsu Cuore very different. No higher speeds, but hitting the gas a lot more and revving the motor to higher rpms.
    Yes, it can be fun to hypermile a higher power car (or lower power with shorter gearing). Fast blast (pulse) and long glides!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes, it can be fun to hypermile a higher power car (or lower power with shorter gearing). Fast blast (pulse) and long glides!
    But I don´t glide with the Daihatsu because I like the motor sound and the fifth gear is even longer than in the Space Star.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    Hypermiling and very low speeds, because the car is made for very low fuel consumption and motor (especially sound) and gearbox (much too long) of the european version are no fun to drive. It´s too slow to have fun in lower gears. The bord computer and the fuel economy display are reasons, too. I drive my Daihatsu Cuore very different. No higher speeds, but hitting the gas a lot more and revving the motor to higher rpms.
    I had a Daihatsu Charade 1.0 MT, several Suzuki Swift, some of those Swifts were 3cyl 1.0 and a few 4cyl 1.6, them being a motor cycle on four wheels. Im very much used to driving cars this size, and dont suppose my driving style changed.
    I dont agree at all the Mirage 1.0 European MT has too long (too tall) gears. Of course it would be better for the Mirage to have a 6 speed box, but I think it is OK as it is. I personally would like 5th gear in the 1.0 European MT to be at least 10-15% taller (longer/länger). Maybe Im biased, because I do so much high speed Autobahn driving.
    Last edited by foama; 08-15-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, it has. Quite markedly in fact; I now meander down the roads, accelerating at a glacial pace, in thrall of the great god of the 3-bar ECO light. I live in fear of invoking the wrath of the fourth light.... The RED light... The LED of Eco-Damnation! There are no chickens left in my area, such is the number of ritual sacrifices I've had to make to appease the dark gods of fuel misering after an unintendedly sharp blip of acceleration!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No. I still drive it like I stole it.

Actually, I drive the mirage harder than I drove my 2012 mustang. No idea why... I think it's because the mustang was so heavy.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was one of the crazy people that had a Geo Metro years ago, and I modified it to go faster. Go figure. However, I started paying attention to how I drove after I got a Scan Gauge with my 2006 Chevy Colorado. After I was successful in getting it to 34 mpg, I moved on to other cars and kept learning and improving my hypermile techniques. My next car was a 1991 Chevy Cavalier Station Wagon and I got it up to 23 mpg which was incredible, but just shy of my 25 mpg goal. My next car was a 1998 Saturn SC1 that I really began to hypermile. After nearly approaching 50 mpg I moved on, eventually, to a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage where I was able to squeeze 45 mpg out of it with VERY minimal mods and an automatic transmission!

So now with my Mirage, if I am by myself in the car I find myself reverting back to how I used to drive cars. Turning the A/C off, even in 95 degree weather, taking different routes so I can drive at 45 mph instead of 60 mph, and coasting WAY before stop lights because I have learned the stop light pattern so I know when they are going to change. It is really nice being able to drive comfortably and get 45 mpg, but if I try a little then 50+ mpg is easy to attain!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My German driver's license and life in Europe changed my habits. Driving the US highways is like participating in a F1 race.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you driving it differently then you used to?
    Yes, l drive very cautiously as l've seen the crash tests and still get nervous driving around town.

Hypermilling? Anticipating/planning moves in advance?
    Yes to both.

Enjoying nimbleness in the city/parking lot?
    Absolutely, love how l can fit 2 Mirage hatches into 1 parking space! Talk about efficient.

Did Mirage change the way you drive your car?
    Yes, all in all: it has helped me to become a cautious driver as when l originally bought the car l threw it around corners like a hoonigan and was very reckless with the vehicle....but with it's soft suspension and body roll it has helped me think twice about taking corners fast and helps me to enjoy the drive rather than feel a sense of rushing to get to my destination or anxiety of other motorists behind me. The 5-speed MT makes this little car engaging to drive as well as not hurt your back with its 6-way adjustable seats. Am very glad to have purchased this car and very glad to have browsed Youtube and found Pryme's video on the Mirage Review as he swayed my decision on it. He also led me to the forum where l've met great people and it is a great atmosphere to be in.

Rally

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-27-2021)